Calculating Temperature Change with Ice Cube in Coffee

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding putting an ice cube in a thermos of coffee and whether the equation used is correct. It is pointed out that there is a term missing in the equation, which is the heat needed to completely melt the ice cube. The approach is correct but the equation needs to be adjusted. It is also mentioned that the problem would not be simpler if the ice started out at a lower temperature. The correct approach is to determine the heat used to raise the temperature to 0, the heat to melt the ice, and the heat to raise the water temperature above 0.
suspenc3
I have a question involving putting an ice cube in a thermos of coffee. I used [tex]c_{ice}m_{ice}(T_f-T_i) + c_{coffee}m_{coffee}(T_f-T_i)=0[/tex]. Is this right? If so wouldn't the temperatures of the ice remain constant until it is all gone?It says that the ice is at 0'C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The approach is correct, but there is a term that is missing in your equation: the heat needed to completely melt the ice cube.

How do I find this..If say the ice was at -10'C then i could do this by using Tf=0..But since it is already at its melting point, I am kinda confused

waiitt...Q=Lm?

Heat Lost = Heat Gained, the heat lost by the coffee melts the ice first (mL) and then raises it to a higher temperature (mcdeltaT)

So my equation is going to become [tex]L_Fm + c_{ice}m_{ice}(T_f-T_i) + c_{coffee}m_{coffee}(T_f-T_i)=0[/tex]? and then will [tex]c_{ice}m_{ice}(T_f-T_i)[/tex] become zero since the ice isn't going to change Temp until it has changed phases

It depends on the numbers. If the final temperature is above 0 degrees, then there was enough heat to both melt the ice and raise the temperature of the new water above 0 degrees

Something else to point out is that the problem wouldn't be simpler if the ice started out at -10 degrees. You would need to determine (in this order) the heat used to raise the temperature to 0, the heat to melt the ice, and the heat to raise the water temperature above 0

1. How does an ice cube affect the temperature of coffee?

When an ice cube is added to hot coffee, it will absorb heat energy from the surrounding liquid. This causes the ice cube to melt and the coffee to cool down.

2. Can the temperature change be accurately calculated with an ice cube in coffee?

Yes, the change in temperature can be calculated by measuring the initial temperature of the coffee and the final temperature once the ice cube has melted. This calculation takes into account the heat capacity of the coffee and the ice cube.

3. What factors can affect the temperature change when using an ice cube to cool coffee?

The temperature of the coffee, the initial temperature of the ice cube, and the size and material of the container holding the coffee can all affect the temperature change. Additionally, the surrounding environment and any interference from external heat sources can also impact the temperature change.

4. Is the temperature change consistent with different types of coffee and ice cubes?

The temperature change will vary depending on the type of coffee and ice cube used. Different types of coffee have different heat capacities and the size and material of the ice cube can also affect its ability to cool the coffee.

5. Can the temperature change be reversed by removing the melted ice cube from the coffee?

No, once the ice cube has melted and the temperature of the coffee has decreased, it cannot be reversed by simply removing the melted ice cube. The surrounding environment will continue to affect the temperature of the coffee until it reaches equilibrium.