1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo VLE problem with mathcad

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For acetone (1) methanol (2) system based on Wilson equation make the following calculations:

(a) BUBL P: T=60oC, =0.3
    (b) DEW P: T=60oC, =0.3
    (c) PT-flash: T=60oC, P=1/2 (Pbubble+ Pdew), z1=0.3
    (d) If an azeotrope exist at 60oC, find Paz and x1az=y1az .
    The table on page 362 lists parameter values for the Antoine Equation. Parameters for Wilson equations are : a12=504.31 , a21=196.75 .

2. Relevant equations

Antoine eq - calculate Psat
    Rackett eq - molar volume (liquid)
    Wilson Eq - gamma
    modified Rault's Law

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is not the actual solution of the problem - it is getting mathcad to produce the answers (all homework is required to be done in Mathcad for this class). See the http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YOX2IEX9" [Broken]

So, after the above calculations, I need to find 3 things - bubble pressure, y1 and y2. I have 3 equations - modified Rault (1 for each species) and y1 + y2=1. I put these in a solve block, tell mathcad to find the answers and... it turns red. The solve block is on the second page.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong here? I run into trouble all the time with these Find functions. So far in this class I'm spending much more time trying to figure out Mathcad than I am Thermo.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?