Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermoacoustic Refrigeration

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    hi friends,
    I wanted to know about the Thermoacoustic Refrigeration.Can u plz submit any links or explanation about the topic.Looking forward to your replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, bags, but I can't help you. I've never even heard of that before. I'm just weighing in so you don't think that you're being ignored. Others are looking for your answers. :smile:

4. Aug 28, 2006 #3
    Here is an article with a decent basic description of the process.

http://www.ehponline.org/docs/1994/102-9/innovations.html" Quote below from the article:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017 at 12:25 PM
  5. Nov 24, 2006 #4

LuZ

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM
  6. Nov 25, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

180 dB? Wholly molley. Forget worrying about fan noise from that fridge.

7. Nov 26, 2006 #6

LuZ

That's the internal sound pressure level. You'll find that the 'noise' amplitude inside a typical thermoacoustic refrigerator is in general, similar or less than that of a typical vapour compression system, so the expectation in external noise levels should be similar.

A system I built myself that achieved an max internal SPL of 176dB operating at ~105Hz was found to emit a sound power level equivalent to 51dB(A) at 1 metre.

8. Nov 27, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

What's the main cause for the attenuation? From 180 to 51 dB is pretty substantial.

9. Nov 27, 2006 #8

LuZ

It is: believe it :smile:

Provided that the structure is not driven at a resonant frequency, it's due to the high structural impedance to the operating frequency, and poor re-radiation of vibration at the external surface. Also, it's 176dB to 51dB(A): the 'A' weighting is also a factor here.

10. Nov 27, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

So is the acoustic source is a single frequency source? I guess that would make it easier to tailor the enclosure for those purposes. Pardon the pun, but very cool.

11. Nov 27, 2006 #10

LuZ

The interior is largely featureless so the operating mode is typically of very http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor" (low damping). There are of course harmonics associated with the operating frequency, but are usually of insignificant level.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017 at 2:17 PM
  12. May 14, 2007 #11
    Can anyone supply some details abount this type of cooling. Sounds interesting.
    Thanks
    Pat M

13. May 14, 2007 #12

LuZ

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM
  14. Feb 16, 2010 #13
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017 at 8:59 PM
  15. Mar 20, 2011 #14
    Well, can anybody give me a comparative analysis of thermoacoustic compressors and conventional compressors regarding energy consumption and how much the thermoacoustic compress can compress gas/vapor i.e. upto which pressure level (in bars).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook