Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermoacoustic Refrigeration

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    hi friends,
    I wanted to know about the Thermoacoustic Refrigeration.Can u plz submit any links or explanation about the topic.Looking forward to your replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, bags, but I can't help you. I've never even heard of that before. I'm just weighing in so you don't think that you're being ignored. Others are looking for your answers. :smile:

4. Aug 28, 2006 #3
    Here is an article with a decent basic description of the process.

Rock and Roll Refrigerator Quote below from the article:

5. Nov 24, 2006 #4

LuZ

6. Nov 25, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

180 dB? Wholly molley. Forget worrying about fan noise from that fridge.

7. Nov 26, 2006 #6

LuZ

That's the internal sound pressure level. You'll find that the 'noise' amplitude inside a typical thermoacoustic refrigerator is in general, similar or less than that of a typical vapour compression system, so the expectation in external noise levels should be similar.

A system I built myself that achieved an max internal SPL of 176dB operating at ~105Hz was found to emit a sound power level equivalent to 51dB(A) at 1 metre.

8. Nov 27, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

What's the main cause for the attenuation? From 180 to 51 dB is pretty substantial.

9. Nov 27, 2006 #8

LuZ

It is: believe it :smile:

Provided that the structure is not driven at a resonant frequency, it's due to the high structural impedance to the operating frequency, and poor re-radiation of vibration at the external surface. Also, it's 176dB to 51dB(A): the 'A' weighting is also a factor here.

10. Nov 27, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

So is the acoustic source is a single frequency source? I guess that would make it easier to tailor the enclosure for those purposes. Pardon the pun, but very cool.

11. Nov 27, 2006 #10

LuZ

The interior is largely featureless so the operating mode is typically of very high quality of resonance (low damping). There are of course harmonics associated with the operating frequency, but are usually of insignificant level.

12. May 14, 2007 #11
    Can anyone supply some details abount this type of cooling. Sounds interesting.
    Thanks
    Pat M

13. May 14, 2007 #12

LuZ

14. Feb 16, 2010 #13
  15. Mar 20, 2011 #14
    Well, can anybody give me a comparative analysis of thermoacoustic compressors and conventional compressors regarding energy consumption and how much the thermoacoustic compress can compress gas/vapor i.e. upto which pressure level (in bars).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?