Thermochemistry Help: Calculating Enthalpy Change of NaOH Dissolving in Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of enthalpy change for the dissolution of NaOH in water and compares it to the enthalpy of formation for NaOH. The correct equations and calculations are provided, with a reminder that enthalpy change is an extensive property. The conversation also discusses the calculation of enthalpy change for the reaction and how it should match up with the enthalpy of formation for NaOH.
Ryuk1990

Homework Statement

When 2.0 g of NaOH were dissolved in 53.0 g water in a calorimeter at 24.0 degrees C, the temperature of the solution went up to 33.7 degrees C.

Homework Equations

Enthalpy change is equal to the opposite sign of the heat of water.

The Attempt at a Solution

For enthalpy change of the reaction, I got -2.1 x 103 joules.

To find enthalpy change for the solution of 1 g NaOH in water, it would just be -2.1 x 103 divided by 1 g, right?

And to find enthalpy change for the solution of one mole NaOH, it'd be -1.2 x 103 divided by 1 mole, right?

Now, the equation of the NaOH dissolving in the water would be like this.

NaOH ---> Na + OH

Is this right?

It then asks me to look at enthalpies of formation as given in thermodynamic tables. I am to calculate enthalpy change for the reaction as written in the equation and I should compare it with the enthalpy change for one mole NaOH.

I'm looking at the table and NaOH is -425.6 kJ/mol. The Na is -240.1 kJ/mol and the OH is -230.0 kJ/mol.

What now? Isn't the NaOH supposed to match up with what I got previously for one mole?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for posting your question on the forum. Your calculations and equations are correct so far. To find the enthalpy change for the solution of 1 g NaOH in water, you would divide the enthalpy change by the amount of NaOH used (2.0 g). Similarly, to find the enthalpy change for the solution of one mole NaOH, you would divide the enthalpy change by the number of moles of NaOH used (0.05 moles). This is because enthalpy change is an extensive property, meaning it depends on the amount of substance used in the reaction.

As for the comparison with the enthalpy of formation, you are correct that the enthalpy change for the reaction should match up with the enthalpy of formation of NaOH (-425.6 kJ/mol in this case). However, the values you have calculated so far are for the enthalpy change of the solution, not the reaction. To calculate the enthalpy change for the reaction, you need to take into account the enthalpies of formation for both products (Na and OH) as well as the reactant (NaOH). The equation for the reaction would be:

NaOH (s) + H2O (l) -> Na+ (aq) + OH- (aq)

Using the enthalpies of formation for each species, you can calculate the overall enthalpy change for the reaction. The enthalpy change for the reaction should match up with the enthalpy of formation for NaOH, as you mentioned.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work with your calculations and equations!

1. What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is a branch of physical chemistry that deals with the study of the heat energy associated with chemical reactions and the interconversion of different forms of energy.

2. What is enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change is the amount of heat energy absorbed or released during a chemical reaction at constant pressure.

3. How do I calculate the enthalpy change of NaOH dissolving in water?

To calculate the enthalpy change of NaOH dissolving in water, you will need to know the initial and final temperatures of the solution, the mass of the NaOH and water, and the specific heat capacity of water. Then, you can use the formula q = mcΔT, where q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The resulting value will be the enthalpy change in joules (J).

4. Why is it important to calculate the enthalpy change of a chemical reaction?

Calculating the enthalpy change of a chemical reaction allows us to understand the amount of energy involved in the reaction and how it affects the products and reactants. This information is crucial in many industries, such as food production, pharmaceuticals, and energy production.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the enthalpy change of a reaction?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the enthalpy change of a reaction, such as the concentration of the reactants, the presence of a catalyst, and the pressure of the reaction vessel. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction and therefore, impact the enthalpy change.