Thermochemistry : % Mass Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the percentage by mass of CH4 in a mixture of CH4 and C2H6 based on the amount of heat produced when the mixture is burned in excess oxygen. The method involves finding the ratio of the enthalpy of CH4 to C2H6, determining the percentage of the mixture that is CH4, and using this to calculate the mass of CH4 in the mixture. Another method involves writing and solving two equations for the unknown masses of ethane and methane in the mixture.
ElementUser

Homework Statement

When a 10.0g sample of a mixture of CH4 and C2H6 is burned in excess oxygen, exactly 525 KJ of heat is produced. What is the percentage by mass of CH4 in the original mixture?

Given: CH4(g) +2 O2(g) -> CO2(g) + 2 H2O(l) [tex]\Delta[/tex]H= -890.4 KJ

C2H6(g) + [tex]\frac{7}{2}[/tex] O2(g) -> 2 CO2(g) + 3 H2O(l) [tex]\Delta[/tex]H= -1560.0 KJ

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I take the ratio of the enthalpy of CH4 to C2H6. To do this, I do -890.4/-1560.0. This gives me approx. 0.57 (note that I keep as many digits as possible when doing the actual calculations). Therefore, for every one mol of C2H6 burned, 0.57 mol of CH4 is burned.

I then find out how much of the % of the mixture is burned for the CH4.

[tex]\frac{0.57}{1.57}[/tex]=36.3%

I proceed to multiply the 525 KJ by this percentage and then convert to grams of CH4 to get 3.44 g of CH4. Finally, I find the % mass by dividing my 3.44 g of CH4 by 10.0g of the original mixture, multiply it by 100% to obtain 34.4% of the original mixture as my final solution.

However, the answer appears to be 17.7%; precisely half of the % mass I acquired. Can someone help point out on what I did wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance~

Physics news on Phys.org
17.7% doesn't look as a correct answer to me.

Hm ok, I was just wondering if there was another method to solve this or if the question's answer was just wrong.

Thanks for your confirmation :)

There is other method.

You have two unknowns - mass of ethane and mass of methane. Their sum is 10.00. Write other equation for amount of heat produced when you burn the mixture. These are two equations in two unknowns.

1. What is Thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the heat energy associated with chemical reactions and processes.

2. What is the % Mass Question in Thermochemistry?

The % Mass Question in Thermochemistry refers to a calculation where the mass of a particular substance in a given reaction is determined as a percentage of the total mass of all substances involved.

3. How is the % Mass Question used in Thermochemistry?

The % Mass Question is often used to determine the efficiency of a chemical reaction, as well as to calculate the amount of a specific substance needed for a reaction to occur.

4. What is the formula for solving the % Mass Question?

The formula for solving the % Mass Question is: % Mass = (Mass of Specific Substance / Total Mass of All Substances) x 100%

5. Can the % Mass Question be used in any type of chemical reaction?

Yes, the % Mass Question can be used in any type of chemical reaction as long as the masses of all substances involved are known.