1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic Adiabats

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    I have in front of me an equation for energy in a system [ U=U(P,V) ]. I'm being asked to find "the equation of the adiabats in the P-V plane". What are they looking for? I know an adiabat is a system with no heat transfer, meaning that the energy of the system would equal the work done on the system. But what is this equation that they are looking for?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, I'm guessing that if you have U in terms of P, V, solve for P and substitute [tex] \Delta U =C_v \Delta T [/tex] for U (first putting it in the form [tex] \Delta U [/tex])...the equation of the P,V graph? An equation for P?

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3
    I don't think that will help with anything. If it's an adiabatic process, deltaT will be zero.

5. Sep 29, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, for an adiabatic process q is zero, the work of an adiabat is equal to the change in its internal energy, the work is equal to constant volume internal energy, the equation I've shown above.

you better get studying

also post the exact problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?