What is the equation for adiabats in a P-V plane?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of the adiabats in the P-V plane. An adiabat is a system with no heat transfer, meaning that the energy of the system equals the work done on the system. The equation they are looking for is most likely related to finding U in terms of P, V and solving for P, substituting in the equation ΔU = C_vΔT. However, this may not be helpful as for an adiabatic process, q is zero and the work is equal to the change in internal energy. The person is advised to study and post the exact problem for clarification.
moonman
I have in front of me an equation for energy in a system [ U=U(P,V) ]. I'm being asked to find "the equation of the adiabats in the P-V plane". What are they looking for? I know an adiabat is a system with no heat transfer, meaning that the energy of the system would equal the work done on the system. But what is this equation that they are looking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, I'm guessing that if you have U in terms of P, V, solve for P and substitute [tex] \Delta U =C_v \Delta T [/tex] for U (first putting it in the form [tex] \Delta U [/tex])...the equation of the P,V graph? An equation for P?

I don't think that will help with anything. If it's an adiabatic process, deltaT will be zero.

no, for an adiabatic process q is zero, the work of an adiabat is equal to the change in its internal energy, the work is equal to constant volume internal energy, the equation I've shown above.

you better get studying

also post the exact problem

1. What is a thermodynamic adiabat?

A thermodynamic adiabat is a curve on a thermodynamic diagram that represents the changes in temperature and pressure of a system as it undergoes an adiabatic process. An adiabatic process is one in which there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings.

2. How is a thermodynamic adiabat different from an isothermal process?

Unlike an isothermal process, where the temperature remains constant, a thermodynamic adiabat shows a change in temperature as the pressure changes. This is because in an adiabatic process, the heat energy is either added or removed from the system through work, rather than through heat transfer.

3. What are the applications of thermodynamic adiabats?

Thermodynamic adiabats are used in various fields such as meteorology, engineering, and chemistry. In meteorology, they are used to study the behavior of air parcels in the atmosphere. In engineering, they are used to analyze the performance of engines and turbines. In chemistry, they are used to understand the thermodynamic properties of chemical reactions.

4. How are thermodynamic adiabats represented on a P-V diagram?

On a P-V (pressure-volume) diagram, a thermodynamic adiabat is represented by a curved line that connects points of equal temperature. The curve is steeper than an isothermal curve, indicating a higher rate of change in pressure with a change in volume.

5. What is the relationship between thermodynamic adiabats and the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In an adiabatic process, there is no transfer of heat energy, so any change in the internal energy of the system must be due to work done on or by the system. This relationship between heat, work, and internal energy is represented by thermodynamic adiabats on a thermodynamic diagram.