Thermodynamic Cycle Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving filling in missing values in a table for Delta(Internal energy), Delta(KE), Delta(PE), Delta(E), Q, and W. The equations Delta(E)= Delta(U) +Delta(KE) + Delta(PE) and Delta(E)=Q-W are used to solve for the missing values. For Process 1-2, the values of D(E) and W are found by plugging into the equations. For Process 2-3, there are 3 unknowns and 2 equations, making it difficult to solve for all the missing values. The person asks for assistance in finding a solution.
NBAJam100

Homework Statement

Im given a table with values for Delta(Internal energy), Delta(KE), Delta(PE), Delta(E), Q, and W.

For certain ones, certain values are missing and I have to fill in the blanks.

Specifically- D()= Delta
Process 1-2) D(U) =72, D(KE)= =5 , D(PE)= -6, D(E) = ? , Q=0 , W= ?
Process 2-3.) D(U)=64 , D(KE)=0 , D(PE) = ? , D(E) = ? , Q = 90, W= ?

Homework Equations

Delta(E)= Delta(U) +Delta(KE) + Delta(PE)

Delta(E)=Q-W

The Attempt at a Solution

For Process 1-2, I found the values of D(E) and W because there were only 2 unkowns so I could plug it into the given equations and solve for the unknowns. For Process 2-3 (And the rest of the remaining processes not listed) I have no idea what to do because there are 3 unknowns and 2 equations that I see fit to use. I've tried re-arranging and plugging different values in but I am stuck. Can someone give me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
For Process 1-2: D(E) = 72+5-6 D(E)=71Delta(E)=Q-W 71=0-WW=-71For Process 2-3:D(PE)= D(U)- D(KE) D(PE)=64-0 D(PE)=64 Maybe I could use this to solve for the other equations but I'm still not sure how..

It seems like you are on the right track with using the equations Delta(E)= Delta(U) +Delta(KE) + Delta(PE) and Delta(E)=Q-W to solve for the missing values. However, for Process 2-3, you will need to use an additional equation, which is the first law of thermodynamics: Delta(U)=Q-W. This equation states that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

Using this equation, you can solve for the missing values of D(PE) and D(E) by setting up a system of equations with the given values and the unknowns. The equations will look like this:

D(U) = 64 = Q - W
D(E) = ? = D(U) + D(KE) + D(PE)
Q = 90
W = ?

From these equations, you can solve for the missing values of D(PE) and D(E) by substituting in the given values and solving for the unknowns.

It is important to note that in thermodynamic cycles, the first law of thermodynamics must always hold true, meaning that the total energy added to the system (Q) must be equal to the work done by the system (W) plus the change in internal energy (D(U)). So, you can also use this fact to check your solutions and ensure that they are correct.

I hope this helps with solving the remaining processes and understanding the concepts behind it. Good luck!

1. What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a sequence of thermodynamic processes that occur in a closed system, resulting in the system returning to its original state. This cycle is used to analyze and understand the behavior of energy and its transformations within a system.

2. What are the four main types of thermodynamic cycles?

The four main types of thermodynamic cycles are the Carnot cycle, Rankine cycle, Otto cycle, and Brayton cycle. Each cycle has its own specific components and processes, and they are commonly used in different types of engines and power plants.

3. How are thermodynamic cycles used in real-world applications?

Thermodynamic cycles are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including power generation, refrigeration, and air conditioning. They are also used in the design and analysis of engines, turbines, and other heat-based systems.

4. What is the significance of the first and second laws of thermodynamics in a thermodynamic cycle?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This law is important in a thermodynamic cycle as it governs the conservation of energy within the system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This law is important in a thermodynamic cycle as it determines the efficiency and direction of energy flow within the system.

5. How do the efficiency and performance of a thermodynamic cycle change with different operating conditions?

The efficiency and performance of a thermodynamic cycle are greatly affected by the operating conditions, such as temperature, pressure, and flow rate. These variables can impact the amount of energy that can be converted and the overall efficiency of the cycle. Therefore, careful consideration and optimization of these operating conditions are crucial in achieving the best performance from a thermodynamic cycle.