Poster warned about not using the homework template
A four-stroke petrol engine with a compression ratio of 9 has a total swept volume of 2.71 litres distributed over 4 cylinders.
Assume the corresponding ideal thermodynamic cycle and the following conditions to calculate the maximum amount of fuel which can be safely added to the air in one cylinder.
- CV of air: 0.718 kJ/ (kg K)
- Cp of air: 1.005 kJ/ (kg K)
- pressure at intake: 0.91 bar
- Temperature at intake: 279 K
- Maximum temperature in cylinder: 1,365 K
- Calorific value of fuel: 48 MJ/kg
possible other equations such as ideal gas equation etc
The Attempt at a Solution
So far I have only managed to work out the output power from V2=V1/(P1/P2)^(1/γ). which comes out as 8.19 bar.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by a moderator: