How Do You Calculate Work and Internal Energy in Thermodynamics?

In summary, for the first conversation, the gas does work of 6.48E5 J as it is compressed from 10.00 L to 2.00 L at a constant pressure of 0.800 atm, and there is a change in internal energy of 400 J as 400 J of energy leaves the gas by heat. For the second conversation, the gas does work of 3.96E8 J as it expands at constant pressure from 1.30 atm and 3.00 m3 to 1.30 atm and 6.00 m3. For the third conversation, the mass of helium present is determined by using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, and finding n from
buttterfly41
1. A gas is compressed from 10.00 L to 2.00 L at a constant pressure of 0.800 atm. In the process, 400 J of energy leaves the gas by heat.
(a) What is the work done by the gas?
(b) What is the change in its internal energy?

so for part a, i have tried:
P*deltaV=W
8.106E4 * 8 = 6.48E5 for the answer to part a, it is wrong and i don't know how else to approch this. I put the pressure in Pa, but maybe i should have left it in atm? i don't know, any help would be wonderful. And for part b, i know that Q-W=U, so i should be able to get b, once i figure out part a.

2. Gas in a container is at a pressure of 1.30 atm and a volume of 3.00 m3.
(a) What is the work done by the gas if it expands at constant pressure to twice its initial volume?
(b) If it is compressed at constant pressure to one quarter of its initial volume?

So far for part a, i have tried:
W=P*delta V
1.32E5 * 3000L = 3.96E8 J, but this isn't right...
I also tired:
W=Pln(vf/vi)
1.32E5* ln(6000/3000) = 9.15E4 J... again wrong
not sure what else to try, and again, part b will be much the same once i understand part a

lastly,
3. A sample of helium behaves as an ideal gas as energy is added by heat at constant pressure from 273 K to 393 K. If the gas does 15.0 J of work, what is the mass of helium present?

so i have tried:
Q=mc*deltaT
15=m*5.193*120
m=.0241moles *4g/mol = .0482g... but wrong

Any and all help/suggestiong would be much appreciated thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1.(a) seems a logical place to begin. Think about question (a) again; is the gas doing work or are you doing work on the gas?

buttterfly41 said:
2. Gas in a container is at a pressure of 1.30 atm and a volume of 3.00 m3.
(a) What is the work done by the gas if it expands at constant pressure to twice its initial volume?
(b) If it is compressed at constant pressure to one quarter of its initial volume?

So far for part a, i have tried:
W=P*delta V
1.32E5 * 3000L = 3.96E8 J, but this isn't right...
Your method is correct (dW = PdV so [itex]W = \int dW = P\int dV = P(V_f - V_i)[/itex]). Check your units. If you are using MKS you cannot use litres.
3. A sample of helium behaves as an ideal gas as energy is added by heat at constant pressure from 273 K to 393 K. If the gas does 15.0 J of work, what is the mass of helium present?

so i have tried:
Q=mc*deltaT
15=m*5.193*120
m=.0241moles *4g/mol = .0482g... but wrong
Since you know that PV = nRT, create an expression for W in terms of temperatures and determine n from that.

I am not sure of your thinking using the heat approach.

Since [itex]dQ = nC_pdT = dU + dW = nC_vdT + PdV[/itex] you can work out n. What is the difference in specific heats (Cp - Cv)?

AM

Last edited:
thanks to both of you, i was confused, but i get it now! THANKS1!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, work, energy, and their transformations. It also deals with the behavior of large collections of particles and the laws that govern their interactions.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its transformation. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. How do you calculate thermodynamic properties?

Thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy, entropy, and internal energy can be calculated using thermodynamic equations and tables. These properties are dependent on temperature, pressure, and the state of the system, and can be determined through experiments or calculations.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, while heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two systems due to a temperature difference.

5. How do thermodynamics apply to real-world systems?

Thermodynamics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems such as engines, refrigerators, and chemical reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the study of energy transfer and efficiency in natural and industrial processes.