1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Thermodynamic Process

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    What is wrong with this logic, if any? It does not seem like this should be true but maybe I'm mistaken.

Physics.png

Assuming the process consists of two isobaric processes and two isothermal processes the work from B to C in terms of p1, p2, V1, and V2 is given by the following.

1) WBC=p2(VC-VB)
    2) Isothermal from A → B so p1V1 = p2VB so VB=(p1V1)/p2
    3) Similarly VC=(p1V2)/p2
    4) WBC= p2((p1V2)/p2-(p1V1)/p2)
    5) Factor out p1/p2 and simplify the you get;
    WBC=p1(V2-V1)​

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The isothermal processes have no change in internal energy. for an ideal gas. Much heat must be added to the system in the isobaric expansion for two reasons: 1)work is being done as it expands 2) It is going to a higher temperature state. In the isobaric compression, much heat must be removed from the system for two reasons 1) The system is going to a lower temperature 2) Work is being done on the system. The energy from this work must also be removed by removing heat. I do think your calculations are correct. Thermodynamic problems can sometimes be tricky, but I believe you analyzed it correctly.

4. Jan 20, 2017 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

It should also be noted that you can readily compute ## \Delta Q=\Delta W ## for each of the two isotherms, since each has ## \Delta U=0 ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile ## \Delta U ## for each of the isobars will be ## \Delta U=\frac{3}{2}nR \Delta T ## for an ideal monatomic gas, and ## \Delta U=\frac{5}{2}nR \Delta T ## for an ideal diatomic gas (where ## \Delta T=\Delta (PV)/(nR) ##). You can thereby readily compute ## \Delta Q ## for each of the isobars, if you know the type of gas. ## \\ ## I think I have this completely correct, but it's always good to have someone double-check the solution. @Chestermiller Did we get everything correct?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  5. Jan 20, 2017 #4
    Since this is a thermodynamic cycle with the final state being identical to the initial state would the total change in internal energy be equal to zero?

6. Jan 20, 2017 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Yes. And if you will notice, for the two isotherms ## \Delta U=0 ## and for the transitions on the two isobars, ## \Delta U_1=-\Delta U_2 ##. ## \\ ## Editing... perhaps we haven't proved yet that ## \Delta (PV) ## is equal and opposite for these two cases...but that is obvious because on one isotherm, ## PV=nRT_1 ## and on the other isotherm ## PV=nRT_2 ##.Thereby ## \Delta (PV)=nR \Delta T ## and ## \Delta U=\frac{3}{2} nR \Delta T ## or ## \Delta U=\frac{5}{2} nR \Delta T ##.

7. Jan 21, 2017 #6
    Yes. So....

And yes, since this a thermodynamic cycle, the change in internal energy for the working fluid has to be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted