1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermodynamic Processes

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I can't aolve the following question:

Two moles of an ideal monoatomic gas trebles its initial volume in an isobaric expansion from state A to state B. The gas is then cooled isochorically to state C and finally compressed isothermally until it returns to state A. The molar gas constant is R = 8.314 J mol–1K–1 and Boltzmann's constant is 1.38 × 10–23 JK–1.

If state B corresponds to a pressure P=8 atm (1 atm = 1.013 × 105 Pa) and temperature T = 552°C, determine the temperature of the gas in state A.

Correct answer= 275.0K

2. Relevant equations

[tex]W=nRT ln \left( \frac{V_i}{V_f} \right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that in an isothermal process the energy transfet [tex]Q[/tex] must be equal to the negative of the work done on the gas; [tex]Q=-W[/tex]. So to find the Temprature I must use the equation

[tex]W=nRT ln \left( \frac{V_i}{V_f} \right)[/tex]

I'm told that the amount of gas trebles but I don't know the initial volume of the gas, so I'm not sure if I can use this equation.

Another approach is maybe to find the change in temprature and then add it to the original temprature. So first I convert 552°C to Kelvins; 552+273.15=825.15 K. Then I want to use the equation [tex]Q=mc \Delta T[/tex]. But again I don't have the mass! What should I do? :confused:

Is my method even correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The volume at A is 1/3 of that at B. P is the same at A and B. Apply the ideal gas law to find T at A. It has to be 1/3 of the temperature at B.

AM

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    Hi,

[tex] PV=nRT[/tex]

[tex]\frac{PV}{T}=nR[/tex]

[tex]\frac{P_i V_i}{T_i}=\frac{P_fV_f}{T_f}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_i}{T_i}=\frac{V_f}{T_f}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{v_i}{552}=\frac{3(V_i)}{T_f}[/tex]

How am I supposed to evaluate Tf now when I don't know what the initial volume is?

5. Apr 4, 2010 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

?? Divide by Vi - it disappears. (You don't have to find the initial volume. You just need to know Vf/Vi = 3)

[tex]\frac{V_i}{T_i}=\frac{V_f}{T_f}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{T_f}{T_i}=\frac{V_f}{V_i} = 3[/tex]

[tex]T_i = \frac{T_f}{3}[/tex]

Further hint: temperatures have to be converted to.....

AM

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook