Thermodynamic Relation: Gas Entropy in Compressor

In summary, the specific enthalpy (h) increases as the gas is compressed isentropically, based on the relationship \Delta h = v \Delta p. This is because compression results in an increase in pressure, leading to a positive change in enthalpy. However, to fully understand the impact of this change, one would need to consider the variation of specific volume (v) with pressure (p).
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

A gas enters a compressor and is compressed isentropically. Does the specific enthalpy (h) increase or decrease as the gas passes from inlet to exit?

Homework Equations

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{p}} \right)_s= v\qquad(1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the specific volume v is a positive number we know that pressure increases (since it is being compressed), then the enthalpy must also increase.

This is the answer that was given in the book. I don't really like it. The left side of (1) is a differential change and hence the right hand side is a single value. When we extend this idea to a finite change, what happens to the right hand side?

Does anyone see what I mean by "I don't like it?" We are looking at values of h and p at two different states 1 and 2. But what the heck is v supposed to do?

I feel like to get the full story, we would need to integrate dh = v(p) dp. We know that v should decrease with an increase in p. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I always find these thermodynamic problems tricky, but I suppose that you could take your equation (1) and integrate it from the initial to the final pressure:

[tex]
\int_{p_1}^{p_2} \left(\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{p}} \right)_s \, \mathrm{d}p = \int_{p_1}^{p_2} v \, \mathrm{d}p
[/tex]

It follows (insert stuff about fundamental theorem of calculus here) that
[tex]h_2 - h_1 = v (p_2 - p_1) [/tex]
or, more compactly,
[tex]\Delta h = v \Delta p[/tex]

Then compression means that [itex]\Delta p > 0[/itex] (the final pressure is higher than the initial one) so [itex]\Delta h > 0[/itex] (the enthalpy increases).

Feel better now?

Hi CompuChip!

I actually don't just yet since we know that v varies as well as h and p. It might not matter though seeing as it is always positive, but I still feel like it should be more thorough. It will depend on the difference of the product v2p2 - v1p1 I think. And thus it will depend on how v varies with p. I am just trying to see if there is something general we can say without knowing explicitly how v varies with p.

1. What is a thermodynamic relation?

A thermodynamic relation is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between different thermodynamic variables, such as temperature, pressure, and volume, in a system. It is derived from the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the behavior of energy and matter in a system.

2. How is gas entropy related to compressors?

Gas entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, while compressors are devices used to increase the pressure of a gas. The thermodynamic relation for gas entropy in compressors describes how the entropy of a gas changes as it is compressed, based on the properties of the gas and the compressor.

3. What factors affect gas entropy in compressors?

The gas entropy in compressors is affected by several factors, such as the type of gas being compressed, the temperature and pressure of the gas before and after compression, and the efficiency of the compressor. These factors can impact the change in entropy during the compression process.

4. How is the thermodynamic relation for gas entropy in compressors used in practical applications?

The thermodynamic relation for gas entropy in compressors is used to design and optimize compressor systems for various applications, such as air conditioning, refrigeration, and gas turbines. It helps engineers understand the energy and heat transfer processes involved in compressing gases, and allows them to make informed decisions about the design and operation of compressors.

5. Can the thermodynamic relation for gas entropy in compressors be applied to other types of systems?

Yes, the thermodynamic relation for gas entropy in compressors is a general expression that can be applied to any system that involves the compression of a gas. This includes not only mechanical compressors, but also other types of compressors such as turbines, pumps, and fans. The same principles and equations can be used to analyze the entropy changes in these systems.