1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic Relation

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A gas enters a compressor and is compressed isentropically. Does the specific enthalpy (h) increase or decrease as the gas passes from inlet to exit?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{p}} \right)_s= v\qquad(1)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the specific volume v is a positive number we know that pressure increases (since it is being compressed), then the enthalpy must also increase.

This is the answer that was given in the book. I don't really like it. The left side of (1) is a differential change and hence the right hand side is a single value. When we extend this idea to a finite change, what happens to the right hand side?

Does anyone see what I mean by "I don't like it?" We are looking at values of h and p at two different states 1 and 2. But what the heck is v supposed to do?

I feel like to get the full story, we would need to integrate dh = v(p) dp. We know that v should decrease with an increase in p. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personally I always find these thermodynamic problems tricky, but I suppose that you could take your equation (1) and integrate it from the initial to the final pressure:

[tex]
    \int_{p_1}^{p_2} \left(\frac{\partial{h}}{\partial{p}} \right)_s \, \mathrm{d}p = \int_{p_1}^{p_2} v \, \mathrm{d}p
    [/tex]

It follows (insert stuff about fundamental theorem of calculus here) that
    [tex]h_2 - h_1 = v (p_2 - p_1) [/tex]
    or, more compactly,
    [tex]\Delta h = v \Delta p[/tex]

Then compression means that [itex]\Delta p > 0[/itex] (the final pressure is higher than the initial one) so [itex]\Delta h > 0[/itex] (the enthalpy increases).

Feel better now?

4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    Hi CompuChip!

I actually don't just yet since we know that v varies as well as h and p. It might not matter though seeing as it is always positive, but I still feel like it should be more thorough. It will depend on the difference of the product v2p2 - v1p1 I think. And thus it will depend on how v varies with p. I am just trying to see if there is something general we can say without knowing explicitly how v varies with p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook