Thermodynamic Limit: V/N = $\upsilon_0$ $\neq$ 0

• Thread starter Petar Mali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, you are saying that the distance between particles is much less than the dimensions of the domain, so the limit at infinity does not hold.
Petar Mali
[tex]lim_{N\rightarrow \infty}\frac{V}{N}=\upsilon_0\neq 0[/tex]

Can you tell me something more about this limit? Maybe some book where can I read more?

Must I write?

[tex]lim_{N\rightarrow \infty V\rightarrow \infty}\frac{V}{N}=\upsilon_0\neq 0[/tex]?

Thanks for your help!

Science news on Phys.org
Petar Mali said:
[tex]lim_{N\rightarrow \infty}\frac{V}{N}=\upsilon_0\neq 0[/tex]

Can you tell me something more about this limit? Maybe some book where can I read more?

Must I write?

[tex]lim_{N\rightarrow \infty V\rightarrow \infty}\frac{V}{N}=\upsilon_0\neq 0[/tex]?

Thanks for your help!
The first expression is mathematically incorrect while the other is not useful at all : you're saying that 2 quantities tends to infinite more or less at the same rate.

Where did you see this formula? Can you please explain the context. Thanks.

The distance between the particles is much less than the dimensions of the domain. So I think that we suppose that [tex]V\rightarrow \infty[/tex].

I don't think there's much written on this idea. It's used in statistical physics when you want your argument to be independent of having a discrete collection of matter, so integrals can replace clumsy sums and stuff like that. You can only apply it when doing that is a physical reality. For instance, in systems where adding more particles would change the charge distribution, it wouldn't leave your problem unchanged if you added more particles.

For example if you were trying to figure out the probability of a transcription factor binding to a certain place on a genome, it would be okay, in your reasoning, to assume that the number of binding sites was very large and that as the genome got infinitely long so did the number of TF binding sites. However, if these binding sites could maybe attract each other and form bonds, this would obviously change the whole problem. The network of connections made by the binding sites with each other may not scale with adding more sites.

Thanks!

If we say [tex]\left\langle H \right\rangle \propto N[/tex]. For example I get that square of mean quadratic fluctuation is

[tex]\varphi_{H}=\frac{\theta^2}{\left\langle H \right\rangle^2}\frac{\partial \left\langle H \right\rangle}{\partial \theta} \propto \frac{1}{N}[/tex]

where [tex]\theta=k_BT[/tex]

So when [tex]N\rightarrow \infty[/tex], [tex]\varphi_{H}\rightarrow 0[/tex].

So I can say microcanonical and canonical enseble are equivalent. But can you give me I don't know three examples when [tex]\left\langle H \right\rangle \propto N[/tex] is not correct. Because from this I can say that if and only if [tex]\left\langle H \right\rangle \propto N[/tex] transition from statistical physics to thermodynamics is possible?

Last edited:

1. What is the thermodynamic limit?

The thermodynamic limit is a concept in statistical mechanics that refers to the behavior of a system as the number of particles or degrees of freedom approaches infinity. It allows for the study of macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and energy, without having to consider individual particle interactions.

2. What does V/N = $\upsilon_0$ $\neq$ 0 mean in the thermodynamic limit?

In the thermodynamic limit, the ratio of the volume (V) to the number of particles (N) is equal to a constant value ($\upsilon_0$) that is not equal to zero. This indicates that the system is in a state of equilibrium, as the volume and number of particles are able to change without affecting the overall behavior of the system.

3. How does the thermodynamic limit relate to statistical mechanics?

The thermodynamic limit is an essential concept in statistical mechanics, as it allows for the application of macroscopic laws and equations to systems with a large number of particles. It also helps to simplify the calculations and analysis of these systems by eliminating the need to consider individual particle interactions.

4. Can the thermodynamic limit be applied to all systems?

The thermodynamic limit can be applied to systems that are in a state of equilibrium, as it assumes that the system is large enough to exhibit macroscopic behavior. It may not be applicable to small systems or systems that are undergoing rapid changes, such as in chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to the thermodynamic limit?

The thermodynamic limit is a powerful concept, but it does have its limitations. It assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the system, such as external forces or fluctuations in temperature. Additionally, the thermodynamic limit may not be accurate for systems with a small number of particles, as individual particle interactions become more important in these cases.