Thermodynamical State: Questions & Answers

• Thread starter ovais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, Simon Bridge explained that a system at a particular state has unique values of state functions, and that the concept of state can be confusing. He also mentioned that cooking is not exact, and that it is quite easy to make two bowls of rice taste sufficiently the same that many independent diners will agree "they taste the same!" He said that one of the things worth studying as you progress through life is how little information you need before you know everything about the system, and how little you need to know to do something useful with it.
ovais
Hi All,
During my study of thermodynamics these days I have a little confusion regarding the concept of state of a system and state functions. Here I begin what confuses me.
We know temperature, pressure, volume, internal energy, entropy etc. are state functions. 1.I am wondering if a system at a particular state has some unique values of state functions?
2. What does it really mean by a state of a thermodynamic system?
3.Can two simillar systems at same state have different internal energy? OR Do internal energy is some special type of state function, which could indepedently clearifies what is the state of the system.
4. Is it possible for any process ,(to occur) where the initial and final state are different though the change internal energy is zero.
In short the concept of state confuses me. Any help will be highily appreciated.
REGARDS!

Science news on Phys.org
1. I am wondering if a system at a particular state has some unique values of state functions?
That's sort-of correct.
The physical "state" of a system is the condition it is in.
Like when you come in muddy and someone says "Look at the state you are in!" Your state is your physical condition.

We represent a thermodynamic state mathematically as a set of numbers - when we have enough numbers that, from them, we can determine everything we need to know about the system, then we have a complete description of it's state. We will often refer to the set of numbers as the state as a kind of shorthand.

2. What does it really mean by a state of a thermodynamic system?
Classically, the state of an ideal gas is completely described by it's volume, pressure, and temperature (and the number of molecules).

3. Can two simillar systems at same state have different internal energy? OR Do internal energy is some special type of state function, which could indepedently clearifies what is the state of the system.
You should be able to figure this out from the previous - you know how to find the internal energy of a system from it's state variables: does that relationship allow more than one value for a given state?

4. Is it possible for any process (to occur), where the initial and final state are different though the change internal energy is zero.
Of course - but you know this one too: the thermodynamic processes are adiabatic, isobaric, isothermal and isochoric. You have the internal energy relations for each one - which is/are zero?

Thanks you so much Simon Bridge, I really got benifitted by your answers. Here one more thing I want to get clearified...

Suppose i have two containers of raw rice of same hybrid (i.e having same internal energy) and i started cooking them using same ingridents but by different mode of heating. If after being cooked to the same level it is found that the change in internal energy in both is the same, now is it necessary that they would be of same taste and having same final temperature? thanks!

Taste is not a thermodynamic property.

Cooking is not exact, and neither is taste.
As a result, it is quite easy to make two bowls of rice taste sufficiently the same that many independent diners will agree "they taste the same!"

We don't usually have or need a complete description of the state of something to be able to do useful things with it.

Ok.., means by just knowing the internal energy of a paeticular well known sysrem, one can not pridict other state functions(their values), the system is in. Can this be finally assumed?
Or i can say two systems undegoes same change in internal energy from same initial state may have diffetent final temperature. WITH REGARDS!

Last edited:
I will further be very thankfull to anybody who could tell me that, if two systems(similar) are at same state, will that mean that all the state functions will have the same value or not? I really very curious to understant. I am sorry for my dull mind:)

Sure - the configuration of a system, even something like an ideal gas, can lead to different states with the same internal energy.

One of the things worth studying as you progress through life is how little information you need before you know everything about the system ... and how little you need to know to do something useful with it.

And an inquiring mind is seldom dull - at least not for long.

Thanks I understood the matter now.Love to have more discussions in future. Thanks again:)

1. What is a thermodynamic state?

A thermodynamic state is a specific condition or set of conditions that describes the physical properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. It is used to describe the state of a system at a particular moment in time.

2. How does a thermodynamic state differ from a thermodynamic process?

A thermodynamic state describes the properties of a system at a particular moment, while a thermodynamic process describes the changes in these properties over time. Think of a thermodynamic state as a snapshot of a system, and a thermodynamic process as a movie showing how the system changes over time.

3. What is thermodynamic equilibrium?

Thermodynamic equilibrium occurs when a system's thermodynamic properties, such as temperature and pressure, remain constant over time. It is a state of balance where there is no net exchange of energy or matter between the system and its surroundings.

4. How is thermodynamic state related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics govern the behavior of a system in a given thermodynamic state. For example, the first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This applies to any system in a given thermodynamic state.

5. Can a system be in more than one thermodynamic state at the same time?

No, a system can only be in one thermodynamic state at a given time. However, a system can change its thermodynamic state over time through thermodynamic processes.