Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics as a beginner?

1. Jun 21, 2004 #1
    How do I start studying Thermodynamics as a beginner? Any reference or websites for it and then How do I need to master Thermodynamics that can support Aerospace Engineering study?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start at Resnick & Halliday and work your way up to Pathria or Huang

4. Jun 22, 2004 #3
    I would suggest studying the properties of substances like air(gas) and water (fluid/vapour). Get comfortable with recognising the specific volume, internal energy, enthalpy and quality for different conditions of the substances (like Temp, pressure, ect.).

From there you can begin to apply the 1st law and gradually get into more and more depth of the first law (or ideal gas).

Print off some property tables and charts from the back of any thermo text.

5. Jun 25, 2004 #4
    study entropy, enthaly and kinetic theory. I find this to be a good starting point.

6. Jun 25, 2004 #5

Moe

Just grab a general physics book used in universities for the first or second semester classes, and read through the thermodynamics chapters, and maybe the associates ones (gases and fluids). If you want to know more, you can get a book on theoretical thermodynamics or possibly statistical mechanics. Be warned, though, the latter two contain a lot of math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?