Thermodynamics brain teaser

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of liquid water going from 25C/1 atm to 30C/1 atm with a negative heat transfer (q<0). The participants consider the role of specific heat and temperature changes in determining q, and suggest that it may be related to internal energy. They also discuss the possibility of work input and its effect on temperature. There is some uncertainty and further suggestions are welcome.
notawretcheddrunk
perhaps I'll get more replies here

"explain how liquid water can go from 25C/1 atm to 30C/1 atm in a process for which q<0"

I was thinking perhaps that since , [tex]q=mc_p \Delta T [/tex] how can q be negative when the temperature change is positive? , maybe it has something to do with the specific heat, however the only other factor which effects cp is temperature right? Well since the tempreature change is already given, I'm not quite sure how one can say that it is due to cp, me thinks it shouldn't be. unless the average change in cp is negative for an increase in temperature.

I guess it has to do with internal energy, but how is it that q is not always dependent on temperature then when we are given the q equation? How can we explain the situation in terms of the heat equation (above).

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea. I thought specific heat was a constant??

Is this a legit question?

Just because heat flux is zero or negative, doesn't mean work input is zero or negative. If you put work into a fluid, you raise the temperature.

I was reading the question and I couldn't see Q_Goest's response, but I was thinking the same thing. Energy equation Qin - Wout = U2-U1

ahh that sounds plausible, thanks for the suggestions so far, any other suggestions?

1. How does the concept of thermodynamics apply to a brain teaser?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations. In a brain teaser, this can apply to the way we think and process information. Our brains use energy to solve problems and make decisions, and thermodynamics can help us understand the efficiency and limitations of this process.

2. Can thermodynamics help us solve brain teasers more effectively?

Yes, understanding thermodynamics can help us approach brain teasers with a more systematic and efficient approach. By understanding concepts such as energy conservation and entropy, we can better strategize and utilize our brain power to solve the puzzle.

3. Are there any specific thermodynamic principles that can be applied to brain teasers?

One principle that is often applicable is the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. This can be related to brain teasers as they often involve manipulating and organizing information in a logical manner.

4. How can thermodynamics help us understand the difficulty level of a brain teaser?

Thermodynamics can give us insights into the energy required to solve a brain teaser. If a puzzle requires a lot of mental energy and effort, it may be considered more difficult. Additionally, thermodynamics can also help us understand the efficiency of our thinking process and identify areas where we can improve.

5. Can thermodynamics be used to create new brain teasers?

Yes, thermodynamics can serve as a source of inspiration for creating new brain teasers. By applying concepts such as energy transfer and conversion, one can design puzzles that challenge the mind and require creative problem-solving skills.