Exploring Thermodynamics with H. Callen: A Book Review

In summary, this person recommends reading "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatics" by H. Callen, but suggests supplementing it with other books.
WiFO215
I wanted to do some reading on thermodynamics and some people suggested the book "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatics by H. Callen".

Has anyone here read the book? What do you make of it? Do you have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! I've read the first seven chapters of Callen's great book and I definitely recommend it. It focus the mathematical formalism and helps you relate the physical reality with the mathematical arsenal in a way that I never saw. However, I suggest you read other books to complement Callen's. These are my suggestions:
'Concepts in Thermal Physics' - Stephen and Katherine Blundell -- a great book, full of original exercises and great explanations.
'Thermodynamics' - Enrico Fermi -- a classic; a small but worthwhile book.
'Understanding Thermodynamics' - H.C.Van Ness -- a book that you must read before anything else; according to the author, it is a book that explains thermodynamics in a conceptual way without using advanced mathematics; a small book too.
'Classical Thermodynamics' - A.B.Pippard -- a good book to read when you already know about the matter; it has good examples.

Hope you find this useful.

Last edited:
Thank you very much miguelcf! Much appreciated!

Other than a great reply by miguelcf, I would add that Callen is quite a historic book. I own it, haven't started to work through it, but for now I trust E.T. Jaynes' word in his 1996 paper on Gibbs paradox: "[The textbook] of Callen (1960) is almost the only one that recognizes the more complete and fundamental nature of Gibbs' work."

I think Callen is the worst place to start with thermodynamics, because of 'Its focus on the mathematical formalism'. It suffers from mathematism. For example it introduces the (false) idea that enthalpy is a Legendre Transform of the internal energy: see elsewhere in this forum. If you want anything quantitative (=calculated) use Cengel. If you like science fiction try Callen.

Thanks all. There has been a change of plans and I shan't be doing Thermodynamics or Stat mech. any time soon. Again, thanks anyway.

1. What is thermodynamics according to Callen?

Thermodynamics by Callen is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies the behavior of systems in equilibrium and the transfer of energy between them.

2. How does Callen's approach to thermodynamics differ from other textbooks?

Callen's approach to thermodynamics is unique in that it focuses on the concepts and principles of thermodynamics, rather than just equations and mathematical calculations. It also emphasizes the fundamental role of entropy in thermodynamic systems.

3. Is Callen's book suitable for beginners in thermodynamics?

While Callen's book may be more advanced than some introductory textbooks, it is still suitable for beginners in thermodynamics. It provides a thorough explanation of the fundamental principles and concepts, making it a great resource for those new to the subject.

4. What are some practical applications of thermodynamics according to Callen?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, including in the fields of engineering, chemistry, and biology. Some specific applications include power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand Callen's book?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful in understanding thermodynamics, it is not necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand Callen's book. The concepts and principles are explained in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible for readers with varying levels of mathematical proficiency.