1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Calculate power and dimensions of piping

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    500 kg/hr of steam drives a turbine. The steam enters the turbine at 60 bara and 500C at a linear velocity of 5.0 m/s. After driving a set of turbine wheels to generate shaft power, the steam exhausts from a pipe that is 10 m below the entrance pipe at 35.0 m/s and at 2.5 bara and 225C. The turbine has an exposed area of 20 m^2 with an average temperature (Ts) of 105F while the factory average air temperature is 75F. The average heat transfer coefficient, h, is 2.5Btu/(hr*ft^2*F) and the heat loss form the turbine can be calculated by q = hA(Ts - Tair).
    a) How much power (rate of work) is delivered to the turbine's shaft?
    b) What is the area of the pipe at the inlet and outlet?

2. Relevant equations
    q=hA(Ts - Tair)
    U + (1/2)v^2 + gz = Q - w

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've calculated the heat loss from the turbine to be 16150 Btu/hr. However, I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. I would love to provide a more detailed attempt but I am completely at a loss as to how to even begin this problem. Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?