Thermodynamics - Carnot Engine

In summary, a Carnot engine with 40 g of helium gas as its working substance operates between two reservoirs of temperatures T1 = 400°C and T2 = 60°C. The initial volume of the gas is V1 = 2.0 X 10-2 m3, the volume after isothermal expansion is V2 = 4.0 X 10-2 m3, and the volume after the subsequent adiabatic expansion is V3 = 5.0 X 10-2 m3. The work generated by this engine during one cycle can be calculated using the efficiency of the Carnot engine, which was found to be 0.505201. To find the heat absorbed and the
Wellesley

Homework Statement

A Carnot engine has 40 g of helium gas as its working substance. It operates between two reservoirs of temperatures T1 = 400°C and T2 = 60°C. The initial volume of the gas is V1 = 2.0 X 10-2 m3, the volume after isothermal expansion is V2 = 4.0 X 10-2 m3, and the volume after the subsequent adiabatic expansion is V3 = 5.0 X 10-2 m3.

(a) Calculate the work generated by this engine during one cycle.

(b) Calculate the heat absorbed and the waste heat ejected during one cycle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how tor eally start this problem...

I calculated the effiency of the carnot engine via this:

1-333K/673K-->0.505201

At this point, I wasn't sure how to treat an isothermal expansion. I know that delta U=0, and delta Q= delta W.

I'm not looking for someone to do this for me. I would really appreciate it though, if someone could give me a clue where to start. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wellesley said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how tor eally start this problem...

I calculated the effiency of the carnot engine via this:

1-333K/673K-->0.505201

At this point, I wasn't sure how to treat an isothermal expansion. I know that delta U=0, and delta Q= delta W.

You should start by finding the P,V at all the four states. You can easily find P1 using the gas equation.

They tell you that it expands isothermally, so that means

PV=constants or P1V1=P2V2

You can now find P2.

For adiabatic expansion PVγ=constant. You will need to get γ for helium.

Then it just becomes a case of using Q-W=ΔU

You have worked out the efficiency. All you need to know is Qh. - the heatflow INTO the gas. This occurs only during isothermal expansion. Work out the Qh and you will solve this problem. (Hint: apply the first law to determine Qh).

AM

Thanks for the replies...

Andrew Mason, your response really helped. I tried rock.freak667's solution first, but I my pressure values were off.

Then I tried an equation that was buried in the chapter : Qh=nRT1 * ln (V2/V1), which was exactly what I needed. The rest was a piece of cake.

Thanks again for both of your replies.

Wellesley said:
Thanks for the replies...

Andrew Mason, your response really helped. I tried rock.freak667's solution first, but I my pressure values were off.

Then I tried an equation that was buried in the chapter : Qh=nRT1 * ln (V2/V1), which was exactly what I needed. The rest was a piece of cake.

Thanks again for both of your replies.

For an isothermal process, there is no change in internal energy. So [itex]\Delta Q = W[/itex]

So to find the heat flow into the gas, determine the work done at constant temperature (substituting P = nRT/V):

[tex]W = \int_{V_i}^{V_f} Pdv = nRT\int_{V_i}^{V_f} dV/V = nRT\ln\left(\frac{V_f}{V_i}\right)[/tex]

That is where your equation comes from.

AM

What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the principles of thermodynamics. It consists of two isothermal (constant temperature) and two adiabatic (no heat transfer) processes, and it is used to determine the maximum efficiency that any heat engine can achieve.

How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by taking in heat from a high-temperature reservoir, converting some of it into work, and then releasing the remaining heat to a low-temperature reservoir. This process is repeated in a cycle, and the efficiency of the engine is determined by the ratio of the temperatures of the two reservoirs.

What are the limitations of a Carnot engine?

The main limitation of a Carnot engine is that it is an idealized, theoretical model and cannot be physically built. Additionally, it assumes that the processes are reversible, which is not always the case in real-world systems. Lastly, the efficiency of a Carnot engine is limited by the temperatures of the two reservoirs.

How is the efficiency of a Carnot engine calculated?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is calculated using the Carnot efficiency formula: efficiency = 1 - (Tlow/Thigh), where Tlow is the temperature of the low-temperature reservoir and Thigh is the temperature of the high-temperature reservoir.

What are the practical applications of the Carnot engine?

The principles of the Carnot engine are used in the design and optimization of real-world heat engines, such as steam turbines and internal combustion engines. Additionally, the Carnot cycle is used as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of different heat engines.