1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: Change in Entropy

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 50-ohm resistor carrying a constant current of 1 A is kept at a constant temperature for 27 deg. C by a stream of cooling water. In a time interval of 1s, (a) What is the change in entropy of the resistor? (b) What is the change in entropy of the universe?

2. Relevant equations

dS = dQ / T
    dQ = C dT

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, I understand that the dQ of the resistor is zero because there is a constant temperature and current.

For part b, I do not understand the relationship between resistance (50 ohm), and dQ. I arrive at the correct answer by plugging in 300K (27 deg C) in for T, and 50 ohm in for dQ, but I would like to understand the correct relationship. Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Power generation (the amount of energy dissipated per second) is calculated as [itex]I^2R[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?