Understanding Thermodynamics Concepts: Common Questions Answered - Test Prep

In summary, an isothermal process is when the internal energy does not change, a reversible process is when the entropy changes but the system and surroundings are in thermal and mechanical equilibrium, an adiabatic process is when pressure, volume and temperature all change, and an isobaric process is when pressure is constant.
theown1
Hi, I have a couple of questions for my general knowledge because I have a test coming up and I'm confused on some stuff

1) For an isothermal process is the [tex]\Delta[/tex]S=0 because [tex]\Delta[/tex]T=0?
since it equals zero does that mean that the process is irreversible?

2)What makes a process reversible? is that when the [tex]\Delta[/tex]S>0?

3)In an adiabatic process, pV[tex]\gamma[/tex]=const. means that it equals a constant value not it is constant because if the temperature changes then the pressure and volume or one of them has to change right? But I don't understand how that is constant when Q=0, but then when [tex]\Delta[/tex]T=0, just PV is constant, wouldn't what I had earlier be constant at [tex]\Delta[/tex]T=0 too?

4) In an adiabatic process when I use piVi[tex]\gamma[/tex]=pfVf[tex]\gamma[/tex], means that I can just find the final pressure or the volume after the process occurs?

5)Similarly what does this mean? THVi[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1=TLVf[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1

and if I was only given the heat transfer QH and QL could I substitute that in for TH and TL?

6)In an Isochoric process, the volume is constant, so to find Q or [tex]\Delta[/tex]U, I can use either =nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T or =3/2nR[tex]\Delta[/tex]T?

7)In an Isobaric process, constant pressure, does [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=Q? Is this correct Q=mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T or [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T? or do I use something with Cp like [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=nCp[tex]\Delta[/tex]T?

Science news on Phys.org
theown1 said:
Hi, I have a couple of questions for my general knowledge because I have a test coming up and I'm confused on some stuff

1) For an isothermal process is the [tex]\Delta[/tex]S=0 because [tex]\Delta[/tex]T=0?
since it equals zero does that mean that the process is irreversible?
No. Isothermal processes inevitably involve change in entropy. If the internal energy does not change then volume must change (otherwise, there is no change at all). The reversible path between the initial and final state must involve work and, therefore, heat flow: dQ = dW; dS = dQ/T.

2)What makes a process reversible? is that when the [tex]\Delta[/tex]S>0?
A reversible process can have a positive or negative change in entropy of the system depending on whether the heat flow is into or out of the system. However, the entropy change of the system + surroundings will always be 0. A reversible process is one that occurs while the system and surroundings are in thermal and mechanical equilibrium (ie. out of equilibriium by an infinitessimal amount).

3)In an adiabatic process, pV[tex]\gamma[/tex]=const. means that it equals a constant value not it is constant because if the temperature changes then the pressure and volume or one of them has to change right?
The temperature, pressure and volume all change in an adiabatic process. [itex]PV^\gamma = K[/itex] tells you how P changes relative to V. From that you can work out T: PV=nRT.

But I don't understand how that is constant when Q=0, but then when [tex]\Delta[/tex]T=0, just PV is constant, wouldn't what I had earlier be constant at [tex]\Delta[/tex]T=0 too?
T is not constant in an adiabatic change. Volume changes so work is done. Q = 0 so [itex]\Delta U = -W[/itex]

4) In an adiabatic process when I use piVi[tex]\gamma[/tex]=pfVf[tex]\gamma[/tex], means that I can just find the final pressure or the volume after the process occurs?
And T. Once you have found P and V you can find T.

5)Similarly what does this mean? THVi[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1=TLVf[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1
Just substitute P = nRT/V in [itex]PV^\gamma = K[/itex]

and if I was only given the heat transfer QH and QL could I substitute that in for TH and TL?
No.

6)In an Isochoric process, the volume is constant, so to find Q or [tex]\Delta[/tex]U, I can use either =nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T or =3/2nR[tex]\Delta[/tex]T?
Only if it is a monatomic gas.

7)In an Isobaric process, constant pressure, does [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=Q? Is this correct Q=mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T or [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=nCv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T? or do I use something with Cp like [tex]\Delta[/tex]U=nCp[tex]\Delta[/tex]T?
For a constant pressure process dQ = nCpdT = dU + dW = nCvdT + PdV = nCvdT + nRdT = n(Cv+R)dT

AM

Last edited:
thanks that cleared up a lot!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed within a system, and how these processes affect the properties of materials.

2. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are:

• First law: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.
  • Second law: The total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time.
  • Third law: As the temperature of a system approaches absolute zero, the entropy of the system approaches a constant minimum value.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a colder object, whereas temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of how much energy is present.

4. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of engines, refrigerators, and air conditioners. It is also used in the study of weather and climate, as well as in chemical reactions and processes in the human body. Understanding thermodynamics allows us to better understand and manipulate energy in various systems, making our lives more efficient and comfortable.