1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics! (Density of States)

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an isolated system consisting of a large number N of very weakly interacting localized particles of spin 1/2. Each particle has a magnetic moment [tex]\mu[/tex] which can point either parallel or antiparallel to an applied field H. The energy E of the system is then E = -(n1-n2)[tex]\mu[/tex]H, where n1 is the number of spins aligned parallel to H, and n2 is the number of spins aligned antiparallel to H.

(a) Consider the energy range between E and E+[tex]\delta[/tex]E where [tex]\delta[/tex] is very small compared to E, but is microscopically large so that [tex]\delta[/tex]E>>[tex]\mu[/tex]H What is the total number of states [tex]\Omega[/tex](E) lying in this energy range?

2. Relevant equations
    I really have no clue.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been sitting with my small study group talking about this for an hour, and we're no closer to a solution than when we started. We've looked at the answer and it reminds us of the classical "drunken sailor" problem. Trust me when I say we've attempted this solution from every angle we can think of.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    How many states are there with a given/fixed energy, say, 0 or mu_H or mu*H or whatever it is?

After you know that, you'll want to sum up that number for every energy between E and delta E. Since the gap is big enough (delta E >> mu H), you can transform the sum into an integral.

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    Think about the possible number of states that exist between E and delta E. Like your drunken sailor problem, in which different ways could they move? How is that similar to your particles? Could you use a common formula for this situation as you might have used in the drunken sailor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook