Deriving Relationships for C_P - C_V & C_F - C_L in Stretched Wires

In summary, the conversation discusses a question that involves combining TdS equations and using the cyclic rule to derive a relationship for C_{p} - C_{v} as a function of volume, pressure and temperature. The conversation then moves on to part B, where modifications to the TdS equations are needed for a stretched wire under constant force, and part C, where a relationship for C_{F} - C_{L} for a stretched wire is derived in terms of the coefficient of linear expansion, Young's modulus, volume, and temperature. The equations for volume expansivity, bulk modulus, Young's modulus, and coefficient of linear expansion are also mentioned. The person is seeking help with parts B and C and expresses their appreciation
Collisionman

Homework Statement

I have been stuck on the following question for a while now, particularly part B and C, and I'd like some help with it please. I've completed part A already. The Question:

(A) Combine the following TdS equations:

[itex]TdS = C_{v} dT + T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_{v}dV[/itex]
[itex]TdS = C_{P} dT - T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{p}dP[/itex]

to derive a relationship for [itex]C_{p} - C_{v}[/itex] as a function of volume, pressure and temperature (V, P and T, respectively) using the cyclic rule.

(B) Derive modifications to the two TdS equations, mention in part A, for application to a stretched wire under constant force (for example, supported by a weight). The force on the wire can be considered solely as a function of length, L, and temperature, T. Derive the modified equations in terms of the coefficient of linear expansion with temperature and Young's modulus.

(C) Derive a relationship for [itex]C_{F} - C_{L}[/itex] for a stretched wire under constant force (for example, supported by a weight). The force on the wire, F, can be considered solely as a function of the length, L, and temperature, T. Derive this relationship in terms of the coefficient of linear expansion, Young's modulus, volume and temperature. You may use the relationship that you derived in part (A).

Homework Equations

(1) Volume expansivity: [itex]\beta = \frac{1}{V}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_{p}[/itex]
(2) Bulk modulus: [itex]K = - V\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_{T}[/itex]
(3) Young's modulus: [itex]Y = \frac{L}{A}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial L}\right)_{T}[/itex]
(4) Coefficient of Linear Expansion: [itex]\alpha = \frac{1}{L}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial T}\right)_{F}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've completed part A of the question and got the following expression using the cyclic rule:

[itex]C_{p} - C_{v} = - T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)^{2}_{P}\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_{T}[/itex]

I know that the above expression for [itex]C_{p} - C_{v}[/itex] can be written as;

[itex]C_{p} - C_{v} = T\beta^{2}KV[/itex]

where β and K are the volume expansivity and the bulk modulus, respectively and [itex]\beta\approx 3\alpha[/itex].

However, I really don't know where to start with part B.

Could someone please help me with part B and C of this question? If I knew how to do part B I think I'd be able to derive a relation for part C.

I would really appreciate any help. Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org

Anyone? Any help greatly appreciated.

Please, anyone...

1. What is the purpose of deriving relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL in stretched wires?

The purpose of deriving relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL in stretched wires is to understand the thermal properties of these wires, specifically their heat capacity and thermal conductivity. These relationships are important for various applications in materials science and engineering, such as in the design of heating elements and thermocouples.

2. How are the relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL derived in stretched wires?

The relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL in stretched wires are derived using thermodynamic principles and equations, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics and the equations for heat capacity and thermal conductivity. These relationships can also be experimentally determined through measurements of temperature and heat flow in the wires.

3. What factors affect the values of CP - CV and CF - CL in stretched wires?

The values of CP - CV and CF - CL in stretched wires are affected by various factors, such as the material composition and structure of the wire, its length and diameter, and the temperature and pressure conditions. Additionally, the relationships may also depend on the degree of stretching or deformation of the wire.

4. How do the relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL change with temperature in stretched wires?

In general, the relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL in stretched wires may change with temperature due to changes in the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the wire material. For example, as the temperature increases, the heat capacity may change due to changes in the vibrational and rotational modes of the wire's atoms, leading to changes in the values of CP - CV and CF - CL.

5. How are the relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL used in practical applications?

The relationships for CP - CV and CF - CL in stretched wires are used in various practical applications, such as in the design and optimization of heating and cooling systems, thermoelectric devices, and sensors. They can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of materials under extreme temperature and pressure conditions, which is relevant in fields such as aerospace engineering and materials science research.