How Does Mercury Expansion in a Thermometer Relate to Temperature Changes?

In summary, the thermometer can distinguish the normal freezing temperature of water and the triple point. The accuracy of the thermometer is up to 0,01 Celsius.
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

The length of a mercury (Hg) column in a glass thermometer is 15,00 cm when the thermometer is in contact with water at it's triple point (vapor-liquid-solid equilibrium) or 0,01 Celsius. Consider the length of the column as a thermometric property "X" and the empiric temperature measured by this thermometer as [tex]\theta[/tex].

(a) Find the empiric temperature when the length of the Hg column is 19,00 cm

(b) If this thermometer has an accuracy of 0,01 cm, can it distinguish the normal freezing temperature of the water and the triple point?

Homework Equations

None given by the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)I have absolutely no idea where to start, all I know is that we could think of this problem as a dilation problem, so that we could use

[tex]\alpha = \frac{1}{L}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial T})_F [/tex]

Or,

[tex]L = L_0(1 + \alpha (\theta_f - \theta_i)) [/tex]

But I don't see how I could use them, so I suppose they are not needed? And in this case what should I do?(b) I suppose so, as the triple point is about 0,01 Celsius and the accuracy is up to 0,01 Celsius, it can distinguish, so yes. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a couple of things you might want to consider. (1) What is the temperature of the mixture at the triple point? (2) What is the pressure at the triple point? (3) What is the pressure at the normal freezing point of water? What does that imply about the difference between the triple point temperature and the normal freezing point of water? Is it greater, or less than 0,01 Celsius?

Also, your equation above is the right way to approach the problem. You have the L's and the initial temperature. Just look up alpha.

Well, can anyone check this for me please?

I suppose that as we are talking about mercury dilation, we should use the thermal expansion coefficient [tex]\beta[/tex] instead of the linear expansion alpha,

[tex]\beta = \frac{1}{V} (\frac{\partial V}{\partial T})_p[/tex]

But as I wasn't given any function, I suppose I should just plug-in the [tex]\beta[/tex] value for Mercury which is [tex]181\times10^{-6}[/tex]

So we can solve it this way,

[tex]L - L_0 = L_0 \beta (\theta_f - \theta_i) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{(0,19 - 0,15)}{(0,15)(181\times10^{-6})} = \theta_f - 0,01 [/tex]

[tex] \theta_f = 220,99 + 0,01 = 221 C [/tex]

Is this it? I find it very unusual that the value for [tex]\beta[/tex] wasn't provided on the problem, I had to look out for it on google.

Last edited:
I would make the approximation that the expansion of the glass can be ignored. Then you don't have to worry about the expansion of the cross section and the linear formula will give you an acceptable answer.

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems, such as engines and power plants.

2. What is dilation in thermodynamics?

Dilation, also known as expansion, is a thermodynamic process in which the volume of a substance increases as a result of an increase in temperature or a decrease in pressure. This is due to the fact that molecules move more rapidly and take up more space when heated, or when the pressure on them is decreased.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a role in many everyday activities, such as cooking, driving a car, and using electronic devices. It helps us understand how heat is transferred and used in these systems, and how to optimize them for maximum efficiency.

4. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How is thermodynamics used in engineering?

Thermodynamics is a fundamental concept in engineering, and is used to design and optimize various systems, such as power plants, engines, and refrigerators. Engineers use thermodynamic principles to ensure that these systems operate efficiently and effectively.