Thermodynamics - Enthelpy change in adiabatic expansion

In summary, the problem involves the adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas in a slow steady flow process. The initial pressure is 2.5 bar and the volume expands from 1.2m3 to 3.8m3. The heat capacity ratio is given as 1.42. To calculate the enthalpy change, the work done is found using the steady flow process equation, and the internal energy is determined using the Δ(PV) term in the ΔH equation. The process is assumed to be reversible.
ScottHendo

Homework Statement

Adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas is carried out in a steady flow process. The initial pressure of the gas is 2.5 bar. The volume is expanded from 1.2m3 to 3.8m3. Heat capacity ratio (γ) = 1.42. Calculate enthalpy change of the process.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

W = ∫ PdV

ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV)

PVγ = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculate work done by using work done for steady flow process equation:
W = ∫ PdV with PVγ= constant to get W = constant ∫ (dV)/Vγ .
Carry out the integration to get W.
-W = ΔU
Then use ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV) to find enthalpy change.

I am looking for any help on 1) to make sure I am on the right track and 2) what to do with the Δ(PV) part of the last equation.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the expansion is a reversible process. In a steady flow process ##W = \Delta H = c_p*(T_2-T_1)##. Working with internal energy seems to be correct but it much more complicated.

Is this the exact problem statement, or is there something that you left out? The answer is different if the flow is through a porous plug compared to a turbine featuring an adiabatic reversible expansion. Did you leave out the word “reversible” from your description?

I missed out that it is a slow steady flow process, would this mean that I could assume it is reversible?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It is concerned with the movement of energy and how it affects matter.

2. What is enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change, also known as heat of reaction, is the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction at constant pressure.

3. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in which a gas expands without the transfer of heat or mass between the system and its surroundings. This leads to a change in temperature and pressure of the gas.

4. How does enthalpy change in adiabatic expansion?

In adiabatic expansion, the enthalpy change is equal to the work done by the gas. As the gas expands, the internal energy decreases and therefore the enthalpy decreases as well.

5. What are the practical applications of enthalpy change in adiabatic expansion?

Enthalpy change in adiabatic expansion is important in many industrial processes, such as steam turbines and gas compressors. It is also used in the study of thermodynamic cycles and refrigeration systems.