1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics entropy problem

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find (a) the energy absorbed as heat and (b) the change in entropy of a 2.00 kg block of copper whose
    temperature is increased reversibly from 25°C to 100°C. The specific heat of copper is 386 J/kg K .

2. Relevant equations

dS=dQ/T
    dS=nRln(final volume/initial volume) **for an ideal gas**

3. The attempt at a solution\

Well I got the first part. The energy is just
    dQ=cmdT
    which is (386)(2)(75K)= 57900J

however, when i got to the second part, I didn't know what to do since the copper isn't an ideal gas, and it has a non-constant temperature so I can't use the first equation. Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    Entropy Thermodynamics problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find (a) the energy absorbed as heat and (b) the change in entropy of a 2.00 kg block of copper whose
    temperature is increased reversibly from 25°C to 100°C. The specific heat of copper is 386 J/kg K .

2. Relevant equations

dS=dQ/T
    dS=nr ln(vf/vi) **for an ideal gas**

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part was relatively easy. I just used the equation:
    dQ=cmdT
    so, dQ=(386)(2)(75)=57900 J

But for the 2nd part, I dont know what to do because copper is not an ideal gas, ruling out the 2nd equation, and the temperature is not constant, meaning I cannot use the first equation. Any help would be great!!!

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    Re: Entropy Thermodynamics problem

dS = dQ/T
    dQ = cmdT
    dS = cmdT/T
    Integrate both sides to get delta(S) = cm*ln(Tf/Ti); be sure to use Kelvin.
    Its been a while since I've done thermodynamics, so I might be wrong...though I only applied a bit of mathematical procedure, so it seems as though it would be fine.

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4
    Re: Entropy Thermodynamics problem

sounds right to me.... thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook