Thermodynamics: filling a gas tank with air

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a computer program to model the pressurization process in a rigid insulated tank. The program will calculate the pressure, temperature, mass flowrate, and resident mass during the process. The equation provided for mass flow rate appears to be a simplified version of the isentropic flow equation commonly used in thermodynamics. The speaker suggests checking units and constants for accuracy and consistency in the program.
kwak

Homework Statement

From a previous post in this forum, unfortunately the thread is closed for answers otherwise I would have posted it there: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/thermodynamic-filling-of-tank-matlab.479112/

A 70 ft3 rigid insulated tank contains air at 14.7 psia and 80 º F. The tank is connected to a supply line through a valve. Air is flowing in the supply line at 75 psia and 80 º F. The valve is opened, and air is allowed to enter the tank until the pressure in the tank reaches the line pressure, at which point the valve is closed. The diameter of the connecting pipe is 1 inch.

Write a computer program to model the pressurization process in the tank. The computer program will calculate the pressure, temperature, mass flowrate into the tank and resident mass during the process. Determine the final temperature, mass of air in the tank and time required to pressurize the tank.

Homework Equations

mass flow rate mdot=A1*sqrt(((2*k)/(k-1))*P1*g*rho1*(P2/P1)^(2/k)*(1-(P2/P1))^(k-1/k))

where k = Cp/Cv

The Attempt at a Solution

I modeled a comparable situation in SI units using vanderWaals EOS and I would like to compare it to the results from the thread mentioned above. However I do not know where this equation for the mass flow rate came from. Does someone recognize it?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to our forum for assistance with your computer program. The equation for mass flow rate that you have provided appears to be a variation of the isentropic flow equation, which is commonly used in thermodynamics to calculate the flow of gas through a pipe. It is derived from the equations of continuity, Bernoulli's equation, and the ideal gas law. This equation is often used in engineering and physics applications to model gas flow in pipes and tanks.

I am not sure where the specific equation you have provided came from, as it may be a simplified version or a variation of the original equation. However, it should still provide a reasonable approximation for your calculations. I suggest checking your units and constants to ensure they are consistent and accurate for your specific problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your computer program! Let us know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance.

1. How does thermodynamics apply to filling a gas tank with air?

Thermodynamics is the study of how energy is transferred and transformed within a system. In the context of filling a gas tank with air, thermodynamics helps us understand the processes involved in compressing and storing air in a confined space.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to filling a gas tank with air?

The ideal gas law, represented by the equation PV = nRT, describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. This law is important in filling a gas tank with air because it helps us calculate the amount of air that can be stored in a given volume at a certain pressure and temperature.

3. How does the efficiency of the compressor affect the process of filling a gas tank with air?

The efficiency of the compressor, which is a measure of how well it converts energy into compressed air, directly impacts the time and energy required to fill a gas tank with air. A more efficient compressor will require less time and energy to fill the tank compared to a less efficient one.

4. What is the role of heat transfer in filling a gas tank with air?

Heat transfer plays a significant role in filling a gas tank with air. As the air is compressed, it heats up due to the increase in pressure. The heat must then be transferred out of the system to prevent the air from becoming too hot and potentially damaging the tank or other components.

5. How does the volume of the gas tank affect the amount of air that can be stored?

The volume of the gas tank directly affects the amount of air that can be stored. A larger tank will have a greater capacity for storing air compared to a smaller tank. This is because the ideal gas law states that at a constant pressure and temperature, an increase in volume will result in an increase in the amount of gas that can be stored.