1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - First law Q

1. Apr 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all, please see uploaded pics. I can do the first 3 questions but can't get my head around the 4th. Any help is appreciated.

Capture_zpsiwkqpcld.jpg

DSC_0157_zpswmfhsrg7.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2015 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

The rate at which heat is lost by the air [itex]P_{air}[/itex], equals to minus the rate [itex]P_{water}[/itex]at which heat is absorbed by the water. So it will be [itex]P_{air}=-P_{water}[/itex].

[itex]P_{air}=C_{air}\dot{m}_{air}(47-167)[/itex], [itex]P_{water}=C_{water}\dot{m}_{water}(40-35)[/itex]

4. Apr 8, 2015 #3
    Hi Delta,

What have you denoted as C?

5. Apr 8, 2015 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

Its the specific heat capacity. For water is 4.17 and for air around 1.01 at the temperatures of this problem.

6. Apr 8, 2015 #5
    I thought it was the specific heat capacity but I can only find the Cv/Cp for water in any of the tables from my text which was confusing me a bit.

Cheers for the help!

7. Apr 8, 2015 #6
    It's liquid water. What is the heat capacity of liquid water?

Chet

8. Apr 8, 2015 #7
    Sorry in my previous post i meant to say CANT find the Cv/Cp value for water in any of my tables.

9. Apr 8, 2015 #8
    The heat capacity of liquid water is 4.18 kJ/kg C. Did you not see Δ2's post # 4? Are you saying you never had this in freshman physics?

Chet

10. Apr 8, 2015 #9
    Yes I did see that in Delta's post. I am just saying, naturally, I refer to the tables for my data values and when I didn't come across a value for water it threw me off. I thought I had done something wrong. That's what happens when you have been studying all day I guess, time to take a rest.

11. Apr 8, 2015 #10
    All I did was Google "heat capacity of water."

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted