How Does Heat Affect the Expansion of Monatomic Gas in an Insulated Cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of one mole of monatomic gas in a perfectly insulated cylinder with a frictionless piston. The initial temperature is 300K and the volume is 0.025m^3. After heat is supplied, the gas expands at constant pressure to a final volume of 0.06m^3. The final temperature is calculated to be 720K, and the average kinetic energy per molecule increases by 8.69*10^-21 J. The work done by the gas expanding is calculated to be 3490.2 J, and the heat supplied is calculated to be either 10774.4 J or 8725.5 J, depending on the method used.
alias25
one mole of monatomic gas (in a perfectly insulated cylinder)
has temp = 27 degees c = 300K
volume = 0.025m^3

(gas held in frictionless piston)
heat suppied causes gas to expand at constant pressure gas expands to volume = 0.06m^3

i) calc final temp..
i used pV/T =pV/T (p cancels because its constant) and i got a value for new tempreture as 720K

ii) increase in av. KE per molecule...
using KE= 3/2kT i found the original KE per molecule as 1.49*10^-20
and new KE per molecule as 6.21*10^-21
and the difference between them (increase in av. KE = 8.69*10^-21)

iii) WD by the gas expanding...
WD = p*(change in)V...i got the p value from P = nRT/V and i got that as 99720 Nm-^2 and then multuply by (0.06 -0.025) to get WD as 3490.2 J

iiii) the heat supplied...
i used Q = (change in)u + (change in)WD
change in internal energy (u) is the sum of the change in KE of the molecules right?
so i multiplied change in av. KE per molecule 8.69*10^-21 by avagadros constant to give me KE for one mole, i get a value of 7284.2J

but then i thought that should be the same as...
calculating the change in av. KE of one mole so i used the formula KE = 3/2RT
to find change in KE for a mole and i get a value of 8974.8 - 3739.5 = 5235.3J

shouldnt they be the same, i don't know which ones wrong

anyway i used U as 7284.2J added (WD) 3490.2 to give me Q = 10774.4J

the other one would be Q = 5235.3 + 3490.2 =8725.5J
which ones right?! did i make any mistakes in the other questions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
don't worry i got it ...silly me 8.69*10^-21 multiplied by avagadros constant is not the value i got.

Your calculations for the final temperature, increase in average kinetic energy, work done by the gas expanding, and heat supplied seem to be correct. However, there may be a small discrepancy between the two values for heat supplied because of rounding errors in your calculations.

To address your question about the difference in the two values for heat supplied, it is important to note that internal energy (u) is not just the sum of the change in kinetic energy of the gas molecules. It also includes the potential energy and internal energy of the gas molecules, which may change due to changes in temperature and volume. So, the formula Q = (change in)u + (change in)WD takes into account all of these changes in energy, whereas the formula Q = 3/2RT only considers the change in kinetic energy.

In this case, the difference in the two values for heat supplied is likely due to the change in internal energy of the gas molecules (which is not accounted for in the Q = 3/2RT formula). Therefore, the correct value for heat supplied is likely the one you calculated using the formula Q = (change in)u + (change in)WD.

Overall, your understanding and calculations of the first law of thermodynamics seem to be correct. Keep in mind that there may be small discrepancies in your calculations due to rounding errors. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the principles of thermodynamics.

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The first law of thermodynamics is similar to the Law of Conservation of Mass, as both laws state that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. However, the first law of thermodynamics specifically focuses on energy, whereas the Law of Conservation of Mass focuses on matter.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed according to the first law of thermodynamics?

No, according to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another, such as from heat energy to mechanical energy.

4. What is an example of the first law of thermodynamics in action?

An example of the first law of thermodynamics is when a hot cup of coffee is left on a table and eventually cools down. The heat energy from the coffee is transferred to the surrounding air, causing both the coffee and the air to reach a state of thermal equilibrium.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to living organisms?

The first law of thermodynamics applies to living organisms as they also follow the principle of energy conservation. Organisms obtain energy from food and convert it into usable forms for their own biological functions. This energy is then released as heat, which is transferred to the surroundings.