1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics fun!

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    For a brayton cycle on a pressure and temperature diagram, using helium gas, is it reasonable to have the net work for the cycle and the change in Q for the cycle to come out to be equal to each other?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2
    i thought the first law of thermodynamics said "change in work is equal to change in heat"

so yeah it is reasonable. and i just worked some brayton cycle problems for homework, and yeah that's what i had

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3
    First law of Thermodynamics

[tex]\Delta U = q + w[/tex]

Or in differential form

[tex]dU = dq + dw[/tex]

In an ISOLATED system, [tex]\Delta U = 0[/tex]. A Brayton cycle, however, is not isolated. Actually its not even closed. So offhand I would not expect the net work to be the same as the net heat evolved. I would however, calculate the work done and heat evolved through all 4 steps of the cycle for an ideal gas. You have two isobars and two isoentropes (constant entropy).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?