Thermodynamics, Heat capacity.

In summary, the molar heat capacity at a constant volume of a solid at low temperatures is given by C_v = 464(T/Td)^3, where Td is the Debye temperature. For NaCl with Td = 281 K, the average molar heat capacity \bar{C_v} between temperatures Ti = 10 K and Tf = 20 K is 0.94. The amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of 1,000g of NaCl from 10 K to 20 K is 9.4.
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

The molar heat capacity at a constant volume of a solid at low temperatures T << Td, where Td is the Debye temperature is given by:

[tex]C_v = 464(\frac{T}{T_d})^3 [/tex]

Consider Td = 281 K for the NaCl.

(a) Calculate the average molar heat capacity [tex]\bar{C_v}[/tex] of the NaCl between the temperatures of Ti = 10 K and Tf = 20 K.

(b) Calculate the amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of 1,000g of NaCl from 10 K to 20 K.

Homework Equations

[tex]C_v = 464(\frac{T}{T_d})^3 [/tex]

[tex]C_v = (\frac{\delta Q}{dT})_v[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) So I found the heat capacities Ci and Cf at Ti and Tf, respectively, and then in order to find the average heat capacity I summed them and divided by 2.

[tex]C_i = 464(\frac{10}{281})^3 [/tex]

[tex]C_i = 0,021 [/tex]

[tex]C_f = 464(\frac{20}{281})^3 [/tex]

[tex]C_f = 0,167 [/tex]

[tex]\bar{C_v} = \frac{C_i + C_f}{2} [/tex]

[tex]\bar{C_v} = 0,94 [/tex]

Is this correct?

(b)

[tex](\frac{\delta Q}{dT})_v = C_v [/tex]

[tex]\delta Q = \bar{C_v} dT [/tex]

[tex]\delta Q = (0,94)(10) = 9,4 [/tex]

Is this also correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the first part is correct since:

[tex]
f_{av} = \frac{1}{b-a} \int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx

[/tex]

I see my mistake now, thank you very much kind sir.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in the form of heat and work. It is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is commonly expressed as either specific heat capacity (the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one unit mass of a substance by one degree) or molar heat capacity (the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree).

3. How is heat capacity related to thermodynamics?

Heat capacity is an important concept in thermodynamics because it helps us understand how substances respond to changes in temperature. It is a key factor in determining how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of a system, and how much heat energy is released when the temperature is lowered.

4. What is the difference between specific heat capacity and molar heat capacity?

The main difference between specific heat capacity and molar heat capacity is the units in which they are expressed. Specific heat capacity is measured in units of energy per unit mass per degree (such as joules per gram Kelvin), while molar heat capacity is measured in units of energy per mole per degree (such as joules per mole Kelvin). Additionally, specific heat capacity is specific to a particular substance, while molar heat capacity is a characteristic property of a substance.

5. How does heat capacity affect phase changes?

Heat capacity plays a crucial role in phase changes, such as melting and boiling. When a substance undergoes a phase change, it either absorbs or releases heat energy, causing a change in temperature. The amount of heat energy required or released during a phase change is directly related to the substance's heat capacity. This is why substances with higher heat capacity, such as water, require more heat energy to undergo a phase change compared to substances with lower heat capacity, such as alcohol.