Thermodynamics Heat Engine

In summary, a heat engine uses the difference in temperature between the top and bottom of the ocean, with solar power and an average solar irradiance of 240W/m^2 and a surface temperature of 25ºC. To calculate the temperature at the bottom of the ocean where the machine delivers 0.1MW to a surface area of 10^4 m^2, efficiency and Th (hot temperature) are needed. Once these values are known, the calculation can be completed.
ruiwp13

Homework Statement

A haet engine works based on the difference of the temperature at the top and bottom of the ocean. The machine is solar powered and the average solar irradiance is 240W/m^2 and the temperature at the surface of the water is 25ºC. Calculate the temperature at the bottom of the ocean so that the machine debits a power of 0.1MW to a surface area of 10^4 m^2.

Homework Equations

Q=σ*A*T^4(surface)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck in this one... I don't know if it is possible for you to give me some hint. I'm not sure if I need to find the efficiency here, but I'll probably will need it to get the heat at the bottom and maybe trough there get the temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
the machine debits a power of 0.1MW to a surface area of 10^4 m^2.
is sure a roundabout way to phrase what i take to be power balance...

Do you suppose he means "delivers useful work of 10 watts/m2 at Carnot efficiency?

If so, it seems to me he's given you both efficiency and Thot .

Likes 1 person
My bet is that is about efficiency only - you are given energy input and energy output. See if you can follow from here.

Edit: Jim was slightly faster, and we definitely said the same thing.

Likes 1 person
First I want to thank you both for the answer. Yes, I concluded that it was supposed to use the efficiency and I was given Th being Tc the temperature at the bottom. It's done!

I am happy to provide some guidance on this problem. First, it is important to understand the basic principles of thermodynamics, specifically the laws of thermodynamics and how they apply to heat engines. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system cannot decrease over time.

In the case of a heat engine, it works by converting heat energy into mechanical work. In this scenario, the heat engine is using solar energy as the heat source and the temperature difference between the top and bottom of the ocean as the driving force. To calculate the temperature at the bottom of the ocean, we can use the equation for the efficiency of a heat engine:

Efficiency = 1 - (T_cold / T_hot)

Where T_cold is the temperature at the bottom of the ocean and T_hot is the temperature at the surface of the water. We can rearrange this equation to solve for T_cold:

T_cold = T_hot / (1 - Efficiency)

Now, we are given the power output of the heat engine (0.1 MW) and the surface area (10^4 m^2). We can use the equation for power (P) to calculate the heat input (Q) to the heat engine:

P = Q/t

Where t is the time period over which the power is being output. Since we are not given a specific time period, we can assume it is over a period of 1 second. So, we can rewrite the equation as:

Q = P * t

Now, we can use the equation for heat transfer to calculate the heat input (Q) to the heat engine:

Q = σ * A * T^4

Where σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, A is the surface area, and T is the temperature. Rearranging this equation to solve for T, we get:

T = (Q / (σ * A))^1/4

Now, we can plug in the values we have and solve for T_hot:

T_hot = (0.1 MW * 1 s) / (5.67 x 10^-8 W/m^2K^4 * 10^4 m^2))^1/4

T_hot = 305.9 K = 32.9 ºC

Finally, we can plug this value into our

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical energy. It operates by taking in heat from a high temperature source, converting some of it into work, and then releasing the remaining heat to a low temperature sink.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the context of a heat engine, this means that the total amount of energy entering the system must equal the total amount of energy leaving the system.

3. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will always be wasted or lost. This means that no system can be 100% efficient, and some energy will always be released as heat to the environment.

4. How is efficiency calculated in a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is calculated by dividing the amount of useful work output by the amount of heat energy input. This can be expressed as a percentage, with 100% efficiency being impossible due to the second law of thermodynamics.

5. What are some real world applications of heat engines?

Heat engines have many practical applications, including in power plants, cars, refrigerators, and air conditioners. They are also used in industrial processes such as manufacturing and transportation, and even in the human body as part of our metabolism.