What is the minimum muzzle velocity required to melt a lead bullet on impact?

• Thread starter terry2112
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the minimum muzzle velocity of a gun based on the information that a lead bullet has melted completely on impact at a crime scene. The equation 0.5mv^2=3/2 k T is discussed, but it is determined to not be applicable in this situation. Instead, the specific heat of lead is used to calculate the initial speed of the bullet in terms of the change in temperature. The specific heat of lead is found to be 0.0305 J/gm degree celcius and the mass of lead is given as 130 J/kg.degree celcius. The final temperature is the melting point of lead and the energy is the kinetic energy of the bullet. Both
terry2112
1. Homework Statement

hey guys, i am new in this forums and would love help with a question i have encountered with an assignment that i am doing.The question is :

At a crime scene, the forensic investigator notes that a 8.2g lead bullet that was stopped in a door frame apparently melted completely on impact. Assuming the bullet was fired at room temperature(20 degree celcius), what does the investigator calculate as the minimum muzzle velocity of the gun?

cheers

2. Homework Equations

equation i tried is 0.5mv^2=3/2 k T

k=boltzman constant

3. The Attempt at a Solution

i got a really really small answer for it so i doubt that is the correct solution to it. I read through that part in my textbook and don't seem to find any similar questions. Hope that someone is able to clarify and make me understand what i am suppose to do.I have a test coming up as well,so solutions and an explanation to this question would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
terry2112 said:
equation i tried is 0.5mv^2=3/2 k T
The bullet is not an ideal monoatomic gas!

Instead, consider the specific heat of the bullet.

i'm still a bit confused,sorry,not really that good at this part in physics!

specific heat is energy required to increase the temperature by 1 degree.

not really sure how this applies to this question.

cheers

You have the amount of energy that was used to increase the temperature of the bullet: that's the bullet's initial kinetic energy. Using the specific heat of lead you can calculate the initial speed in terms of the change in temperature.

Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/spht.html"

[edit: You are given the temperature change and need to calculate the speed. I had it reversed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
i have found the specific heat of lead to b 0.0305.
I have the mass of lead 130 J/kg.degree celcius

By using that, how am i able to find the amount energy used to increase the temperature of the bullet? i need the change in temperature?would that be the melting point of lead? then q=0.5mv^2?

Sorry,melting point of lead - the initial temperature?

cheers

terry2112 said:
i have found the specific heat of lead to b 0.0305.
I have the mass of lead 130 J/kg.degree celcius
You want the specific heat of lead in J/gm degree celcius. The mass of the lead is given.
By using that, how am i able to find the amount energy used to increase the temperature of the bullet? i need the change in temperature?would that be the melting point of lead? then q=0.5mv^2?
Since you're told that the lead melts, you know the final temperature is the melting point of lead. The energy is the kinetic energy of the bullet (which depends on speed). Set up an equation and solve for the speed which just melts the lead.

Just to be clear (I had left this out earlier :redface:): The initial KE of the bullet ends up doing two things: (a) raising the temperature of the bullet to the melting point; this involves the specific heat of lead; (b) melting the bullet; this involves the heat of fusion (phase change) of lead. When you set up your equation, be sure to use the total energy of (a) + (b).

Last edited:

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and how it is transferred between different systems.

What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will be lost as heat. The third law states that as temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a perfect crystal will approach zero.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between two substances due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

How is heat transfer classified?

Heat transfer can be classified into three types: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two substances. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that represents the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It consists of four processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression. This cycle is used as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of real heat engines.