Thermodynamics heating water from a copper tube

• Thread starter only1db
  • Start date
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
there is not a lot of heat going up out of the flue

I have a condensing gas boiler and there is very little nasty stuff in the condensate. It seems to be drained away quite well and there is no build up in the flu (CH4 is a very clean burner). I was wondering what the situation is with a pellet burner. Does the flue need to be cleaned often and is there any accumulation of condensate?

Lok
*crickets chirping*

Nothing else uh? no suggestions? trial and error it is then.

Ahh, been a bit busy, sorry for the hyper-ultra-late reply. What I would like to point out is that you already have an engineered object that should function quite well within the working parameters that you now wish to change.
If there are already two fans there, then it is highly unlikely that you will get a lot of heat from some copper tubing with water and so on. As while some components tend to heat up to boiling temperature, their power level is so low that heating water above a few degrees is not really feasible in a reasonable time frame.
You can try this by placing a water container near your pipe and measuring how much time it takes to reach it's maximum temp (which will not be a lot IMO). If it takes more that an hour to get from 20 to 60 C', let it as is.