1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics help

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    HI guys, this is an exam review question from the Fundamentals Engr exam. Not sure how to do it, please help me along so I can learn it too!

Water enters a pump steadily at T1=20°C, p1=100 kPa at a rate of 35 L/s and leaves at p2=800 kPa. The flow velocities at the inlet and the exit are the same, but the pump exit where the discharge pressure is measured at 6.1 m above the inlet section. Neglect Kinetic energy effect. The minimum power input to the pump is:

(a) 34 kW (b) 22 kW (c) 27 kW (d) 52 kW (e) 44 kW

2. Relevant equations

0 = -W + m[tex]\dot{}[/tex]((h1-h2) + g(z1-z2))

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I simplified the equation by eliminating Q(heat transfer) and KE. I converted kPA to Mpa by multiplying by .100.

So, p1= .1 MPa, p2= .8MPa. The mass flow rate(m)= converted 35L/s to 0.035m^3/s by multiplying by .001. g is gravity which is 9.81m/s^2. z1= 0m and z2= 6.1m

Basically, not sure how to start this problem out. Not sure how I find my h1 and h2. Maybe I'm not even using the correct equation, but I think I am.

Thank you,
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2
    Okay, I found something else out...but have yet to figure out how to use the tables correctly. I think the water is classified as a compressed liquid, but that's as far as I've gotten.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?