Thermodynamics Help: Ga(l) to Ga(g) at 1427 K

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium vapor pressures of liquid gallium at different temperatures and the calculation of enthalpy, entropy, and Gibbs energy changes for the process. It also mentions the standard conditions for the vaporization of liquid gallium at 1427 K and whether it will spontaneously form vapor at a pressure of 1 bar. The derived equation for calculating Gibbs energy is also mentioned.
neo2478

Homework Statement

The equilibrium vapor pressures of liquid gallium areT(K) 1302 1427 1623
p(torr) 0.01 0.1 1.0 a-Calculate the enthalpy, entropy and Gibbs energy changes for the process
b-Calculate the standard enthalpy, entropy, and Gibbs energy changes for the vapozation of liquid gallium at 1427 K. Under standard conditions the pressure of the gallium is 1 bar. Will liquid gallium 1427 K spontaneously form vapor with a pressu of 1 bar?

[tex]
Ga(l) \rightarrow Ga(g, 0.1 torr)
[/tex]

at 1427 K.

Heres what I derived so far

[tex]
dG=Vdp
dG=\frac{RT}{p}dp
\Delta G=RTln\frac{p_2}{p_1}
[/tex]

I'm not sure how to get [tex]p_1[/tex] to solve for [tex]\Delta G[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved this problem. It was quite simple actually.
If anyone wants me to post the solution, just let me know.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors interact and change in different systems.

What is Ga(l) and Ga(g)?

Ga(l) refers to liquid gallium, while Ga(g) refers to gaseous gallium. Gallium is a chemical element with the symbol Ga and atomic number 31.

What does it mean for Ga(l) to turn into Ga(g)?

This process, known as vaporization or boiling, occurs when a liquid substance is heated to its boiling point and transforms into a gas. In the case of gallium, this transition occurs at a temperature of 1427 K.

How is the phase change from Ga(l) to Ga(g) related to thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics helps us understand the energy changes that occur during this phase transition. The process of vaporization requires energy in the form of heat, which is absorbed by the liquid gallium to break the intermolecular bonds and transform into a gas.

Why is the temperature 1427 K significant for this phase change?

This temperature, also known as the boiling point, is the specific temperature at which liquid gallium turns into a gas. It is a unique characteristic of the substance and is determined by its molecular structure and intermolecular forces.