Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Help

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    A tube can be inserted into the top of a pipe transporting liquids, providing the pressure is relatively low, so that the liquid fills the tube at height h. Determine the pressure in a water pipe if the water seeks a level at height h=4ft above the center of the pipe.

I'm asking you guys if there is a definite answer to this problem. There seems to be insufficient information such as the diameter of the pipe. Plus, is the pipe horizontal or vertical? I'm guessing horizontal due to it "transporting liquids".

Would the answer just be a simplified version of the formula incorporating the 4ft? If not, what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2
    Anybody?

I'm not looking for an answer, just a clarification.

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3
    Since there's no diameter of a pipe given or any other specific information, you could assume that it's just an open volume at rest where the pressure is given by P = rho*g*h. To get an actual number value, you'd have to assume it's on earth and the desity is that of water at 1atm. However, I'm assuimg it's hinting at fluid statics since it states that a tube can be inserted into another one and it increases the level of water, but it does state "transporting", which suggests dynamic movement.

Example aside, it's just asking for an explanation like that. State the relationship and assumptions to be made. It's just getting you to think about the situation. In other words, what will I need to solve this problem.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook