Thermodynamics homework help

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of thermodynamics and Carnot cycle to ts diagrams in order to determine the efficiency of a system. The student presents their understanding of the equations and calculations for figure A and figure B, expressing uncertainty about their accuracy for figure B. The expert suggests considering the areas under the graphs to determine W and Qh, and prompts the student to consider the difference between A and B in terms of W and Qh.
26xc37

Homework Statement

Part B

Homework Equations

Thermodynamics, Carnot cycle, ts diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that for figure A, Qh=T1Δs and Qc=(T1-T2)Δs once you take the negative out of the Δs. For figure B, Qh=(T2-T1)Δs and Qc=-T2Δs once you take the negative out of the Δs. For the efficiency of figure A, I got η=T2/T1 after plugging into 1-Qc/Qh. For figure B, I got η=(2T2-T1)/(T2-T1). I have a feeling that what I have for figure A is right but that B is no where close. Any help would be awesome

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 381
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 324
Physics news on Phys.org

Keep in mind that efficiency is given by:

η = W/Qh

and W = Qh-Qc.

What is W and Qh in terms of the areas under these graphs? Hint: What is the area under a sloping line?

Is there a difference between A and B in terms of W? How about in terms of Qh?

AM

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, work, and energy in systems. It also involves the relationship between these quantities and their effects on the macroscopic properties of matter.

2. How do I solve thermodynamics problems?

To solve thermodynamics problems, you will need to understand the laws of thermodynamics, which include the First Law, Second Law, and Third Law. You will also need to apply mathematical equations and principles to analyze the properties of a system and determine its thermodynamic state.

3. What are the different types of thermodynamic systems?

There are three types of thermodynamic systems: open, closed, and isolated. An open system exchanges both matter and energy with its surroundings, a closed system exchanges only energy, and an isolated system exchanges neither matter nor energy.

4. What is entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is a state function that increases with time, indicating that the system is moving towards a more disordered state.

5. How is thermodynamics used in real-life applications?

Thermodynamics has many real-life applications, including the design of engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and power plants. It is also used in the study of weather patterns, chemical reactions, and biological systems.