1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics homework

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1
    Hello all

Given

(a) N2(g) + O2(g) --> 2NO(g) ∆H = + 180. 7 kJ

(b) 2NO(g) +O2(g) --> 2NO2(g) ∆H = -113.1 kJ

(c) 2N20(g) --> 2N2(g) --> O2(g) ∆H = -163.2 kJ

Desired Reaction: N2O (g) + NO2(g) --> 3NO (g)

Can someone please tell me where to start? How do I apply Hess's Law? I know I have to work backwards. However, how do I do this in a systematic way?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2005 #2
    please rewrite the equations. Just look at B), for instance, it's not even balanced... and C makes no sense since how can you get O2 from 2 N2...

4. Jan 6, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good place would be to state the equations correctly:
    [tex] N_{2}+O_{2}\rightarrow 2NO [/tex] [tex] (\Delta H)_{1}=+180.7 kJ [/tex]

[tex] 2NO+O_{2}\rightarrow 2NO_{2} [/tex] [tex] (\Delta H)_{2}=-113.1 kJ[/tex]

[tex] 2NO_{2}\rightarrow N_{2}+2O_{2} [/tex] [tex] (\Delta H)_{3}=-67.6 kJ [/tex]

Now,which is the quantity u wanna compute and what's the reaction u wish to get??

Daniel.

5. Jan 6, 2005 #4
    I want to compute ∆H for

N2O (g) + NO2(g) --> 3NO (g)

6. Jan 6, 2005 #5
    I think C should be 2 N2O(g) -> 2N2(g) + O2(g)...

Balance the reactions so that you will get rid of the unwanted reactants or products.... For instance, N2 + O2 -> 2NO

you you might want to multiply the reaction by 2 since N2 is not wanted and there's an N2 in reaction C of the product. Im assuming you know they will cancel out when added together...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  7. Jan 7, 2005 #6
    yes but is there an actual method to solve the problem? Or do you have to just guess and check?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?