1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics, ideal gas

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A container contains 1g of [itex]O_2[/itex] at a pressure of 1 atm and temperature [itex]T_i=47°C[/itex]. At a certain time, due to an escape of gas, the pressure is 5/8 atm and the temperature decreases to 27°C.
    1)What is the volume of the container?
    2)How much mass of [itex]O_2[/itex] has escaped?

2. Relevant equations
    PV=NRT.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1g of [itex]O_2[/itex] is worth 1/32 mol of [itex]O_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]V=\frac{N_iRT_i}{P_i}[/itex]. I took care of converting degrees Celcius to kelvin, took 1atm =10⁵ pascal. This gave me [itex]V=8.31m^3[/itex].
    While [itex]N_f = \frac{P_fV}{RT_f} \approx 208.25 mol[/itex] which makes absolutely no sense. I should get less than 1/32, yet I get a number greater than 200. I don't know what I did wrong, I tried another approach leading to another inconsistency: [itex]N_f=1.5 N_i[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Let's see...

$$V_i={N_i R T_i \over P_i}={\frac 1 {32} \cdot 8.31 \cdot 320 \over 10^5}=8.31 \cdot 10^{-4} m^3$$
    How did you get ##V_i=8.31 m^3##?

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi! Thanks :biggrin: Misuse of calculator apparently. I must be extremely careful to put all parenthesis I think. I now get your result.
    Number of moles in the end: 0.005 or about 1/200. Thus about 0.16 g of [itex]O_2[/itex].

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yeah, I thought as much.
    And this is a problem with numbers that are "nice", so you can easily do it without calculator! ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook