Equilibrium Temperature of Gases in Partitioned Container

In summary, In a container with movable piston, equilibrium is eventually reached and the final temperature of the gases will be 550 K.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

A container has movable(without friction) piston on top. The container and the piston are all made of perfectly insulating material allowing no heat transfer between outside and inside the container.
The container is divided into two compartments by a rigid partition made of a thermally conducting material that allows slow transfer of heat.

The lower compartment of the container is filled with 2 moles of an ideal monatomic gas at 700 K
And the upper compartment is filled with 2 moles of an ideal diatomic gas at 400 K.
The heat capacities per mole of an ideal monatomic gas are Cv = 3/2 R , Cp= 5/2 R and those for an ideal diatomic gas are Cv= 5/2 R, Cp= 7/2 R.

Q. Consider the partition to be rigidly fixed so that it does not move. When equilibrium is achieved, the final temperature of the gases will be
A. 550 K
B. 525 K
C. 513 K
D. 490 K

Homework Equations

ΔQ = nCΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

The lower one chamber will lose heat as,
ΔQ = 2* C (700 - T)
Upper one will gain as
ΔQ = 2 * C ( T - 400)
What C to take Cv or Cp?
Confusion here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually at equilibrium they will have the same internal energy. Therefore Cv should be used( for ΔU, not ΔQ)

mooncrater said:
Cv...
Since its internal energy...
It always has the formula:
nCVΔT
But the answer is coming wrong if we take cv in both cases.

Is it 525 K?

mooncrater said:
Is it 525 K?
No. I also did that initially but it is wrong.
It is a tricky question I guess.

By Cv its 513 K
And by CP its 525 k...
Are both wrong?

What I think... : since there is no work done therefore ΔQ=ΔU... (since the partition is rigidly fixed)
And since ΔU=nCvΔT
Therefore here Cv should be used. What is your thinking?

mooncrater said:
By Cv its 513 K
And by CP its 525 k...
Are both wrong?
Yeah
mooncrater said:
What I think... : since there is no work done therefore ΔQ=ΔU... (since the partition is rigidly fixed)
And since ΔU=nCvΔT
Therefore here Cv should be used. What is your thinking?
I was also thinking the same way earlier.
But the question is correct.
There might be something that we must carefully observe in the question?

Raghav Gupta said:
A container has movable(without friction) piston on top.

Raghav Gupta said:
Consider the partition to be rigidly fixed so that it does not move.
What does that mean? One says it will move, other says it won't.

I think there is a change in volume in the upper compartment.

See this diagram

image.jpg

Likes mooncrater
mooncrater said:
I think there is a change in volume in the upper compartment.
Hmm.. That could be possible.
Then what C we should take for upper compartment?

I don't think any C would work now..
I was thinking that :
Energy from the bottom part= work done to change volume of upper part+ energy to increase temperature of upper part.
To calculate the work done, we may take the final pressure of the upper part to be equal to atmospheric pressure. The problem here is that we don't know the initial pressure or initial volume. What do you think?

mooncrater said:
I don't think any C would work now..
I was thinking that :
Energy from the bottom part= work done to change volume of upper part+ energy to increase temperature of upper part.
To calculate the work done, we may take the final pressure of the upper part to be equal to atmospheric pressure. The problem here is that we don't know the initial pressure or initial volume. What do you think?
That's true.
I saw the solution somewhere and they have taken cp for upper compartment and cv for lower compartment.
Don't know why?
That way the answer D will come.
I know there is constant volume in lower compartment but how constant pressure in upper one?

Likes mooncrater
A reason for constant pressure can be that since its given that the piston is free therefore initially the pressure inside the upper part would have been atmospheric pressure since it has to stay in equilibrium with the pressure outside. Moreover since the piston is always free therefore the upper part has to stay in equilibrium with the outer pressure always, thus always having a pressure equal to the atmospheric pressure. What do you think?

Likes Raghav Gupta
mooncrater said:
A reason for constant pressure can be that since its given that the piston is free therefore initially the pressure inside the upper part would have been atmospheric pressure since it has to stay in equilibrium with the pressure outside. Moreover since the piston is always free therefore the upper part has to stay in equilibrium with the outer pressure always, thus always having a pressure equal to the atmospheric pressure. What do you think?
Thanks, got it.

Likes mooncrater
Nice job guys. The only thing I would add is that the outside pressure does not necessarily have to be 1 atm, and the piston does not have to be massless in order for your analysis to work.

Chet

Likes Raghav Gupta and mooncrater

1. What is thermodynamics in partition?

Thermodynamics in partition is the study of the movement and distribution of energy within a system that is divided into smaller parts or partitions. It is a branch of thermodynamics that deals with the behavior of energy in non-uniform systems.

2. What is the significance of partition in thermodynamics?

Partition plays a crucial role in thermodynamics as it allows for the analysis of complex systems that cannot be studied as a whole. It allows for the application of thermodynamic principles to each partition individually, making it easier to understand and analyze the behavior of the system as a whole.

3. How does thermodynamics in partition differ from traditional thermodynamics?

Traditional thermodynamics deals with systems that are in thermal equilibrium, while thermodynamics in partition deals with systems that are not in equilibrium. It also takes into account the distribution of energy within the system, which is not considered in traditional thermodynamics.

4. What are some real-life applications of thermodynamics in partition?

Thermodynamics in partition has many applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of energy in living organisms, the transport of heat in materials, and the design of efficient energy systems, among others.

5. What are some important principles in thermodynamics in partition?

Some important principles in thermodynamics in partition include the laws of thermodynamics, the concept of entropy, and the principle of detailed balance. These principles help to understand and predict the behavior of energy in non-uniform systems and are essential in many real-world applications.