Thermodynamics (jet engine)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving enthalpy and adiabatic compression. The participant has a good understanding of the concept of enthalpy and how to derive an expression, but is seeking guidance for parts c) and d). The expert advises considering the initial and final velocities to calculate the change in internal energy for part c), and using the specific heat capacity at constant volume for part d).
anony

Homework Statement

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3628/jetlf0.jpg

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/1759/jet2iu4.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

H = U + pV is the enthalpy, and hence the enthalpy per unit mass is h = U/m + pV/m which I have simplified to 7/2 RT/M

I am then able to derive the expression in part b).

Part c) though I'm very confused about, and then moving onto d) I'm pretty lost. I realize that in part say, to get change in T = 2Mq/7R, I can either set vf = vi = 0, or just simply vf = vi works too (where vf is final velocity and vi initial velocity). If someone could just point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome.

For part d) dQ = 0 as its adiabatically compressed. Work done on the gas is p dV, and so dU = dQ + dW = pdV. p isn't constant, so I tried to rewrite as dU = nR dT (going for the long shots here hoping it will take me somewhere). Seeing as I seem to be going completely along the wrong lines, I'm not going to carry on..

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving the problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of enthalpy and how to derive the expression in part b). However, I can see where you might be getting stuck in parts c) and d). Let me offer some guidance that might help you progress in your solution.

For part c), you are correct in saying that the change in temperature can be calculated using the equation ΔT = 2Mq/7R. However, you need to consider the initial and final velocities of the gas in order to calculate the change in internal energy. Remember that internal energy is a state function, meaning it only depends on the initial and final states of the system, not the path it takes to get there. Therefore, you can use either the initial or final velocity to calculate the change in internal energy, but not both.

For part d), you are on the right track by considering the work done on the gas and the change in internal energy. However, you need to consider the specific heat capacity at constant volume (Cv) instead of the ideal gas constant (R). This is because the gas is being compressed adiabatically, meaning there is no heat exchange and therefore no change in entropy (ΔS = 0). This leads to the equation dU = Cv dT. From there, you can use the equation for work done on the gas, dW = -p dV, to solve for the change in temperature.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always think about the physical meaning of the equations and how they relate to the problem at hand. Good luck with your solution!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms, and how it affects the behavior of matter.

2. How does a jet engine use thermodynamics?

Jet engines use thermodynamics to convert the chemical energy in fuel into mechanical energy, which is used to power the engine and create thrust. This is achieved through a series of thermodynamic processes, including combustion, compression, and expansion.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that in a closed system, the total amount of energy remains constant.

4. How is the efficiency of a jet engine determined using thermodynamics?

The efficiency of a jet engine is determined by the Carnot efficiency, which is based on the second law of thermodynamics. This law states that heat always flows from hot to cold, and that it is impossible to convert heat into work with 100% efficiency. The Carnot efficiency is the maximum possible efficiency of a heat engine, and is calculated by dividing the difference in temperature between the hot and cold reservoirs by the temperature of the hot reservoir.

5. How does thermodynamics impact the design of jet engines?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the design of jet engines, as it determines the efficiency and performance of the engine. Engineers use thermodynamic principles to optimize the design of the combustion chamber, compressor, turbine, and nozzle to maximize the conversion of energy from fuel into thrust. Thermodynamic calculations also help in determining the amount of fuel needed for a given flight, which impacts the weight and efficiency of the aircraft.