1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics, maximum work

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Each of three identical bodies has an equation of state U=NCT, with NC=2 cal/K. Their initial temperatures are 200 K, 250 K and 540 K. What is the maximum amount of work that can be extracted in a process in which these three bodies are brought to a final common temperature?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the efficiency isn't constant during the entire process because the temperature of the bodies change.
    I've made a sketch with the following characteristics: An amount of heat [itex]dQ_1[/itex] leaves the body whose initial temperature is 540 K (let's call it body 1 with temperature [itex]T_1[/itex]). This amount of heat enters a machine that produces an amount of work [itex]dW_1[/itex] and transmit an amount of heat [itex]dQ_2[/itex] to the body (let's call it body 2 with temperature [itex]T_2[/itex]) that is initially at a temperature of 250 K. A similar process occur between the body 2 and 3.
    I think that the relation between [itex]dW_1[/itex], [itex]dQ_1[/itex] and [itex]dQ_2[/itex] is the following in case of maximum efficiency/maximum work produced:
    [itex]dW_1=-dQ_1 \left ( 1-\frac{T_2}{T_1} \right ) =-CdT_1\left ( 1-\frac{T_2}{T_1} \right )[/itex].
    Also [itex]dQ_2=dQ_1-dW_1 =CdT_1+CdT_1 \left ( 1-\frac{T_2}{T_1} \right )[/itex] and [itex]cdT_2=dQ_2-dQ_3=CdT_1 \left ( 2-\frac{T_2}{T_1} \right ) \Rightarrow dT_2=dT_1 \left ( 2-\frac{T_2}{T_1} \right )[/itex].
    Now I'm not sure what I've done is relevant nor do I know how to proceed further. I must get [itex]dW_1[/itex] and [itex]dW_2[/itex] (amount of work produced by a machine operating between body 2 and 3).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted