1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics, non-ideal gas

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A generalized [itex]TdS[/itex]-equation for systems of several types of "work-parts" and varying number of particles in multiple components, is given by

[tex] dU = TdS + \sum_{i}y_idX_i+\sum_{\alpha =1}^{c}\mu_\alpha dN_{\alpha} [/tex]

Thus, its natural to regard the internal energy [itex]U[/itex] (an extensive property), as a function of the extensive variables [itex] U, S, {X_i}, {N_{\alpha}}. [/itex] Here [itex] U_\alpha [/itex] is the chemical potential for component [itex] \alpha [/itex], and [itex] N_\alpha [/itex] is the number of particles in component [itex] \alpha [/itex] of the system (a number that can vary by [itex] dN_\alpha \neq 0 [/itex]). Thus we have

[tex] U = U(S, X_i, N_\alpha) [/tex]

Because [itex] (U, S, X_i, N_\alpha) [/itex] are all extensive properties, we have the following homogeneity condition

[tex] U(\lambda S, \lambda {X_i}, \lambda {N_\alpha}) = \lambda U(S, {X_i}, {N_\alpha}) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

My question regards a special case of this, namely a one-component gass system (not an ideal gass!) with the following internal energy

[tex] U = U(S, V, N) = \frac{aS^3}{NV} [/tex]

where [itex] a [/itex] is a a constant with dimension [itex] K^3m^3/J^2 [/itex].

Problem: find the pressure [itex] p [/itex], the temperature [itex] T [/itex] and the chemical potential [itex] \mu [/itex] of this gas expressed by [itex] (S, V, N) [/itex]. And then find the heat capacities at constant volume [itex] C_V [/itex] and pressure [itex] C_p [/itex], expressed by [itex] (N, T, V ) [/itex] and [itex] (N, T, p) [/itex], respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution

The [itex] TdS [/itex]-equation becomes

[tex] TdS = dU + pdV - \mu dN = C_vdT + \left[\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T + p\right]dV - \mu dN[/tex]

But here Im completely at a loss.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I can give you one answer. This whole problem, I think, is not very difficult. ## p=- (\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{V}})_{S,N} ##. Now apply this to the function ## U ## that they gave you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted