Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

THermodynamics of a magnetic system

1. Jan 5, 2005 #1
    I've been given the fundamental equation of a magnetic system .U(S,N,I)=...
    I have to calculate some thermodynamic potentials such as U[T] etc.

One of them is the so called magnetic enthalpy and the expression for it is
    U[p,B]. Another one is U[p]. How do I calculate it? I don't even know what it means.

Since I'm only used to pression, volume etc. I don't know what p is.

If S is entropy, I the equivalent of volume and B (magnetic field or whatever) the equivalent of pressure. WHat is p?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't exactly explained the question very well.

Generally magnetic enthalpy is a state variable that will indicate whether the magnetic energy of the system (internal magnetic energy + magnetic work) has increased or decreased. It is just that there are different definitions of work and internal energy for a magnetic system (depending on what kind of magnetic system it is) than for an ideal gas system. You can have paramagnetic low temperature gases, paramagnetic solids, magnetic solids, nuclear magnetic or magnetic ion systems, or composite paramagnetic systems consisting of magnetic solids and gases. They have different parameters for work and internal energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?