Thermodynamics of concrete in a highway

In summary: The gaps between the slabs will need to be 10.0 cm wide at a temperature of 20º C to ensure that there will be no contact between adjacent slabs over a temperature range of -24º C to 45º C.
newyork

Homework Statement

Concrete highway slabs are poured in lengths of 10.0 m. How wide should the expansion gaps between the slabs be at a temperature of 20 degrees C to ensure that there will be no contact between adjacent slabs over a temperature range of -24 C to 45 C?

Homework Equations

Change in length= (coefficient of linear expansion)(initial length)(change in temp)
(I represented the coeff by α)
α of concrete=12x10^-6 degrees C^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Change in length=(12x10^-6)(10)(-25-20)=-0.0054 m (is it ok that this is negative?)
Change in length=(12x10^-6)(10)(45-20)=0.003

Now, do I add these values to get the total change in length?
(-0.0054m)+(0.003m)= -0.0024m

I understand the equation and the idea of it, but I don't know if I solved the problem correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
These variations represent a shrinkage of 0.0054 m. from 10 m. when the temperature changes from 20º to -25º C and an expansion of 0.003 m. from 10 m. when the temperature goes from 20º C to 45º C. So what is the total range of length change represented here?

Oh yeah, not that it changes the result much, but the problem statement gives a minimum temperature of -24º C.

Last edited:
It makes sense that one of your results is negative, because when the concrete heats up, it will expand, but if it cools down it will shrink.

dynamicsolo said:
These variations represent a shrinkage of 0.0054 m. from 10 m. when the temperature changes from 20º to -25º C and an expansion of 0.003 m. from 10 m. when the temperature goes from 20º C to 45º C. So what is the total range of length change represented here?

Oh yeah, not that it changes the result much, but the problem statement gives a minimum temperature of -24º C.

-0.0024m is the total range of length change represented.
sorry, I did make a typo before. -25 C to 45 C. the 20 C is right. the 24 should be 25.

Last edited:
newyork said:
-0.0024m is the total range of length change represented.

Re-think this for a minute. If I am 6'1" in the morning, and 5'11" in the evening, but my average height is 6'0", then what is the total range of change in my height?

merryjman said:
Re-think this for a minute. If I am 6'1" in the morning, and 5'11" in the evening, but my average height is 6'0", then what is the total range of change in my height?

You would take the difference of those values and divide by 2.

You are right. The negative sign threw me off.

Ah, now that I went and read the question again, I see that we don't actually care what happens at -24º C... Below 20º C, the slabs will be shorter than 10 m, so we don't have to worry about them being in contact.

We are asked how big the gaps need to be at 20º C, so that they don't touch (which may be read as "just barely touch") at 45º C. You've already found that each slab expands to
10 + 0.003 m at 45º C, so if they're just touching at 45º C, how big will the gaps be at 20º C? That's the gap size you'd need to leave.

(There's a little bit of a trick to be wary of, also. Each slab is expanding in both directions, so what happens when the barely-touching slabs at 45º C cool to 20º C ?)

Last edited:

What is the thermodynamics of concrete in a highway?

The thermodynamics of concrete in a highway refers to the study of how heat and energy interact with the concrete used in the construction of a highway. This includes factors such as temperature changes, heat transfer, and energy efficiency.

How does temperature affect the concrete in a highway?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the thermodynamics of concrete in a highway. Extreme temperatures, such as those found in hot or cold climates, can cause the concrete to expand or contract, leading to cracks and other damage. Additionally, temperature changes can affect the curing process of concrete, potentially weakening its strength.

What is the role of heat transfer in the thermodynamics of concrete in a highway?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in the thermodynamics of concrete in a highway. It is responsible for the movement of heat from the environment to the concrete and vice versa. This can impact the temperature of the concrete, as well as its structural integrity, as it can cause thermal stresses and cracking.

How can energy efficiency be improved in the thermodynamics of concrete in a highway?

One way to improve energy efficiency in the thermodynamics of concrete in a highway is by using materials with a lower thermal conductivity. This can help reduce heat transfer and minimize temperature fluctuations. Additionally, incorporating insulation in the construction process can also help improve energy efficiency and reduce the energy consumption of a highway.

What are some strategies to mitigate the effects of thermodynamics on concrete in a highway?

Some strategies to mitigate the effects of thermodynamics on concrete in a highway include using materials with a high heat capacity, such as fly ash or slag, as they can help regulate temperature changes. Proper curing techniques, such as using shade or cooling the concrete with water, can also help minimize the impact of temperature on the concrete. Regular maintenance and repairs can also prevent further damage caused by thermodynamic factors.