Thermodynamics of Gas: Work Done by vs. Work Done On

In summary, the convention for determining positive or negative work done by a gas depends on the context and can be based on the direction of displacement or the change in energy.
hoyy1kolko
I read from my book work done by gas is positive sign and work done on gas is negative sign.

I read through the information on internet,it states that work done by gas is negative and work done on gas is positive.I am confusing now.Please explain to me.Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
It's a matter of convention whether incoming energy is taken as positive or negative. That is, you can choose either definition and get the same answer as long as you're consistent. (However, it does make it confusing if the definition isn't made clear at the start of a solution.)

Indeed, its a matter of convention. Usually in physics we take the work done by the gaseous system as positive. The motivation behind this convention comes the definition of work. When the system expands, its exerting some force in the outward direction and the displacement of the boundary is also outward. Hence, the work done by the gas is positive. On the other hand, when the gas contracts, it is exerting the force in the outward direction, yet the displacement of the boundary is inwards. Hence, the work done on the system is negative work from the standpoint of the system.
Usually in chemistry we take the work done on the system as positive. The reference taken in this case is the energy of the system. If something increases the energy, it is assigned positive value.

hoyy1kolko said:
I read from my book work done by gas is positive sign and work done on gas is negative sign.

I read through the information on internet,it states that work done by gas is negative and work done on gas is positive.I am confusing now.Please explain to me.Thank you.
I'll stick to the standard convention and take a guess at the context you read this in. Let's say we have two bodies or systems, A and B. A might be a bucket of water or a cylinder with a piston in it. B might be the environment.

When A does work on, transfers heat to or otherwise transfers energy to B, the energy in A decreases and the energy in B increases an equal amount.

- conversely -

When A has work done on it, has heat transferred to it or otherwise has energy transferred from B, the energy in A increases and the energy in B decreases an equal amount.

So when you read that the "work done by gas is positive" (or an increase) that probably was to say that there was a transfer of energy to something and that something had an increase in energy.

When you read that "work done by gas is negative", that probably was to say that the total energy of the gas decreased when it did work.

1. What is the difference between work done by and work done on a gas?

The work done by a gas refers to the energy transferred from the gas to its surroundings, while work done on a gas refers to the energy transferred from the surroundings to the gas. In other words, work done by a gas results in a decrease in the gas's energy and an increase in the surroundings' energy, while work done on a gas results in an increase in the gas's energy and a decrease in the surroundings' energy.

2. How is work calculated in the thermodynamics of gas?

Work in the thermodynamics of gas is calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is work, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas. This formula applies when the gas is expanding or contracting against a constant external pressure.

3. Can work be negative in the thermodynamics of gas?

Yes, work can be negative in the thermodynamics of gas. This occurs when the gas is expanding against an external pressure, resulting in an increase in volume. In this case, the gas is doing work on its surroundings and the work is negative.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to work in the thermodynamics of gas?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In the thermodynamics of gas, the work done by or on the gas is a component of this internal energy change.

5. How does the direction of work affect the change in internal energy of a gas?

The direction of work in the thermodynamics of gas affects the change in internal energy of the gas. When work is done by the gas, the internal energy decreases, and when work is done on the gas, the internal energy increases. This is because work is a form of energy transfer and contributes to the overall change in energy of the gas.