Thermodynamics of Hell Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem about determining whether hell is endothermic or exothermic using the ideal gas laws. The first statement suggests that if hell is expanding slower than the rate at which souls enter, the temperature and pressure will increase until chaos ensues. The second statement proposes that if hell is expanding faster than the rate of souls entering, the temperature and pressure will decrease until hell freezes over. The question asks for a mathematical proof of these statements, and the conversation explores different approaches to solving the equations and taking the limits.
thechunk
Hey all. I was reading that story about the physics student who is asked to show whether hell is endothermic or exothermic (here's the http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/hellthrm.html to the story) when I came upon the following statements:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.

2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, than the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

From what I learned in my high school physics class, these are valid statements, however how can one prove the above statements mathematically using the ideal gas laws.

What I have done as of right now, was taking the derivative with respect to time of PV=nRT(nothing is constant except R) to get

[tex]
\frac{dP}{dt} V + \frac{dV}{dt} P = \frac{dn}{dt} T R + \frac{dT}{dt} n R
[/tex]

Then I said the system is at STP for convenience with one mol of gas (or souls whatever you want to call them) and got the following

[tex]
\frac{dV}{dt} - 22.4 \frac{dn}{dt} = .0821 \frac{dT}{dt} - 22.4 \frac{dP}{dt}
[/tex]

Now assuming that the change in volume as well as the change in number of moles is positive, what conclusions can I make from the above statement. Maybe I took this in the wrong direction or very probably overcomplicated the situation but any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
V, P and T are not constant so you can't assume STP for simplicity.

The first statement about hell is one about pressure. That means that you have to solve your ODE for pressure and take the limit of time to infinity. It should go to infinity.

The second statement is about temperature. So solve the ODE for T and take the same limit. It should go to zero.

You could study the simple case where [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dn}{dt}[/itex] are constants. That way it is easier to solve the ODE and possible to take the limit.

EDIT:
You should also need to remove T and P from the first and second equation, respectfully, via the original law PV=nRT. So you need only solve for either P or T.

Last edited:
Ah, I kind of see, thanks for the help

What is the "Thermodynamics of Hell" question?

The "Thermodynamics of Hell" question is a thought experiment that explores the scientific principles and concepts behind the existence and nature of Hell, a hypothetical place of eternal punishment in many religious beliefs.

What are the main components of the "Thermodynamics of Hell" question?

The main components of the "Thermodynamics of Hell" question include the laws of thermodynamics, particularly the second law which states that entropy (or disorder) always increases over time, and the concept of an eternal punishment in Hell.

Can the laws of thermodynamics be applied to the concept of Hell?

While the laws of thermodynamics are based on observable scientific phenomena, the concept of Hell is purely theoretical and subjective. Therefore, it is not possible to apply the laws of thermodynamics to Hell in a literal sense.

What are some proposed explanations for the "Thermodynamics of Hell" question?

Some proposed explanations for the "Thermodynamics of Hell" question include the idea that Hell is a closed system that traps heat and therefore violates the second law of thermodynamics, or that Hell is constantly expanding to accommodate the increasing number of souls, thereby maintaining a state of disorder.

Is the "Thermodynamics of Hell" question a valid scientific inquiry?

The "Thermodynamics of Hell" question is not a valid scientific inquiry as it relies on a hypothetical and unprovable concept. However, it can serve as a thought experiment to explore scientific principles and challenge our understanding of the laws of thermodynamics.