Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics of Melting

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    I am wondering about the enthalpies of solids and liquids near the melting temperature. I am familiar with free energy, and I know that above Tm, free energy of the solid becomes higher than liquid. However, we have been asked to think about the same question for enthalpy and draw a schematic. I was thinking that the enthalpy term should be related to intermolecular forces, so that it will always be higher for solids. Can anyone help me out with this? I don't know if it is a very simple question, but I am just a beginner.

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The idea is correct, but remember that bond formation releases energy (negative enthalpy change), while bond breaking requires energy (positive enthalpy change). This is why the solid phase has a lower enthalpy than the liquid phase.

If it were the other way round (as you guessed), then melting would be exothermic - but that's not true.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?