Calculating Absolute 3rd Law Entropy of a Gas Solution at 25C & 1 atm

In summary: Entropy is an extensive quantity. If one container has entropy S_A and the other has entropy S_B, then the total amount of entropy is S_A+S_B before mixing.thanks!
higherme

Homework Statement

at 25C & 1 atm, absolute entropy of methane and ethane are 186.19 J/K/mol and 229.49 J/K/mol in gas phase. Find absolute 3rd law entropy of a solution containing 1 mol of each gas in ideal behavior.

Homework Equations

I think this is the equation to use:
dSmix= -nR(x1lnx1 + x2lnx2)
where x1 and x2 i can find from 1 mole of each gas (mole fractions)

if i use this equation, then the absolute entropy of methane and ethane woud be useless in this equation. or is there another way of solving it with the absolute entropies?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "the absolute entropy of methane and ethane woud be useless in this equation"? (Note that the term represents an additional term to augment the sum of the unmixed entropies.)

Mapes said:
What do you mean by "the absolute entropy of methane and ethane woud be useless in this equation"? (Note that the term represents an additional term to augment the sum of the unmixed entropies.)

I mean the values 186.19 J/K/mol and 229.49 J/K/mol for methane and ethane given in the question. If i use the equation i said above, then these values would not be needed; so I was thinking there might be another way to do this...

"Note that the term represents an additional term to augment the sum of the unmixed entropies." - I don't get what you mean... which term are you referring to? the absolute entropies?

The total entropy of A and B, unmixed, is [itex]S_A+S_B[/itex].
The total entropy of A and B, mixed, is [itex]S_A+S_B+\Delta S_\mathrm{mixing}[/itex]. Does this help?

Mapes said:
The total entropy of A and B, unmixed, is [itex]S_A+S_B[/itex].
The total entropy of A and B, mixed, is [itex]S_A+S_B+\Delta S_\mathrm{mixing}[/itex]. Does this help?

i don't really get why the entropies are summed if they are ummixed.

Entropy is an extensive quantity. If one container has entropy [itex]S_A[/itex] and the other has entropy [itex]S_B[/itex], then the total amount of entropy is [itex]S_A+S_B[/itex] before mixing.

thanks!

1. What is the thermodynamics of mixing?

The thermodynamics of mixing is the study of the energy changes that occur when two or more substances are combined. It involves analyzing the changes in temperature, pressure, and chemical potential of the individual components as they mix together.

2. What is the driving force behind mixing?

The driving force behind mixing is the tendency of a system to reach a state of maximum entropy, or disorder. When two substances with different properties are mixed together, they tend to distribute themselves evenly in order to achieve a more random and disordered state.

3. How does temperature affect the thermodynamics of mixing?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the thermodynamics of mixing. When two substances with different temperatures are mixed, heat is transferred between them until they reach thermal equilibrium. This process can either release or absorb energy, depending on the specific properties of the substances.

4. Can the thermodynamics of mixing be applied to non-ideal solutions?

Yes, the thermodynamics of mixing can be applied to both ideal and non-ideal solutions. In non-ideal solutions, the interactions between the molecules of different components may deviate from what is expected in an ideal solution, leading to more complex thermodynamic behavior.

5. How is the thermodynamics of mixing used in industrial processes?

The thermodynamics of mixing is used in various industrial processes, such as in chemical reactions, food and beverage production, and oil refining. By understanding the energy changes that occur during mixing, engineers can optimize processes to achieve the desired outcomes and minimize energy consumption.